News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using the 2003 Cortelco model 500

Started by McHeath, March 20, 2009, 09:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

So, as part of my rotary phone system, ar ar, I've rotated the year 2003 Cortelco model 500 to the number one spot.  It's very different than the Western Electric 500s and 1500 that I've used thus far in this spot. 

The good:

•The lightweight handset cord is not always tugging against you, which makes the handset much more comfortable to use.

•You can shut the ringer off on the bottom by turning the wheel all the way right.

•The handset has a volume control wheel, like the old G6 handsets, that works very well and makes using the phone much more versatile. 

•The rubber feet really stick it down well, no sliding around at all when dialing.

•The dial is very quiet, much more so than any other phone and that's nice when you are trying to not bug the rest of the familia.

The bad:

•The network is not up to filtering out the line noise on this particular line, which is shared with the DSL.  Filter or no filter this line has noise, the DSL is spilt off the other lines and they are dead silent.  The old WE phones are almost dead silent on this line, but this Cortelco has an annoying hiss.  I checked all the wiring, piddled with this and that, and yup it's just not up to the job.

•The dial has an annoying feedback when you dial, you hear all the pulses in the receiver and they are loud.  Again, I checked all the wiring, nothing is out of place.

•There is a noticeable cheapness about the phone, all the materials, the finish, even the lettering on the dial bezel, that really shows how the mighty have fallen.  This was 2003 when it was made and not 1955, that much is clear.

•The ring sounds a little off, it's not as clean and clear, kind of wobbles a little.

Overall however, other than the annoying hiss, which goes away on the other lines spilt off from the DSL, this is a very pleasant phone to use, and it's an interesting comparison to the Old Time Phones, which remain far better built and feeling.

HobieSport

Interesting comparison, Heath.  Thanks for the info.  I think my newest phone is still a '57 500. :D  I'm amazed Cortelco still made a rotary in '03!

McHeath

Yeah, who exactly was buying new rotary model 500s in 2003?  Or 2006 for that matter, the last year of production.  I have a 1984 WE 500 to compare this one to, and that is clearly the better made phone in every way, even still has a real network and not a printed circuit board.  But the quality of the phones just gets better the farther back you go, with the exception of my 1951 model 500 which had an annoying sidetone problem that was only fixed by a adding a resistor to the handset line.  Of my phones I guess the 54' model 500 seems to be the best made, best working of the 500s.   

McHeath

Just another pic

Dan

Quote from: McHeath on March 21, 2009, 02:06:07 AM
1951 model 500 which had an annoying sidetone problem that was only fixed by a adding a resistor to the handset line.  Of my phones I guess the 54' model 500 seems to be the best made, best working of the 500s.   

What do you mean by sidetone? I'm trying to get an old model like yours up and going (see the troble shooting section--I even used your picture) and I want to know if I run into that issue also. Thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

Quote from: Dan on March 21, 2009, 10:28:14 PM
Quote from: McHeath on March 21, 2009, 02:06:07 AM
1951 model 500 which had an annoying sidetone problem that was only fixed by a adding a resistor to the handset line.  Of my phones I guess the 54' model 500 seems to be the best made, best working of the 500s.   

What do you mean by sidetone? I'm trying to get an old model like yours up and going (see the troble shooting section--I even used your picture) and I want to know if I run into that issue also. Thanks

Sidetone is the amount of feedback you hear in the receiver, from your own voice when you speak into the transmitter. All telephones exhibit sidetone at one level or another. It's more an industry standard. Anti-sidetone sets minimized the talk back, while early sets like B1 and desk stands used sidetone circuits. When you spoke, your voice came back in the receiver very loud. To the point of annoyance, at least for me.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan

Thanks, kinda like feedback on a microphone,
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

On sidetone, you can read about my adventure in sidetone reduction with my 1951 model 500 here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=246.0

The phone is still working fine with the resistor in place, and I've not had this issue with any other of my old phones. 

bingster

Quote from: Dan on March 21, 2009, 11:54:05 PM
Thanks, kinda like feedback on a microphone,

Exactly.  And if you take the receiver of a candlestick and place it against the transmitter, you'll hear the same extremely loud whistle.
= DARRIN =

AET

Where do you buy one of these Corelco Rotaries, I'd like to have one, just because it's kinda unique.  I'm surprised that the filter doesn't cancel out the noise.  I have one on my phone and it filtered it right out, but again, it's a 1972, not a 2003.
- Tom

McHeath

I found my Cortelco on e-bay, a seller had several of them, all dated to 2003.  They last made them in 2006 and I'd like one of those as well, black preferably, but they seem rare.  The normal channels to buy new phones have dried up with them, though the Cortelco 554 is sometimes still for sale new.  Try searching e-bay under "Cortelco" and see what pops up.

AET

My other question is who was buying these in 2006?  Besides people like us?  And how much were they new?
- Tom

McHeath

In the ads I've seen last year that still listed the 500s for sale as new, the prices were in the 50 dollar range.  So yeah, who besides people like us  ::)  would spend 50 bucks on a rotary phone in 2006? 

Perry

How about $70?

http://www.oldphones.com/servlet/Detail?no=44

It may be a tough sell, as you can get a nice older 500 for less.

AET

Much rather have an old one.  I thought the things would be super cheap and the reason for making them was the technology was cheaper, guess I Was wrong!

I couldn't find any info on them online except for a Wikipedia page created by McHeath LOL!!!
- Tom