News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

59 Beige 500 progress.

Started by Greg G., August 06, 2009, 05:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Brinybay, I wouldn't worry too much about how the phone looks in photos.  A camera flash does indeed make the minutest flaw painfully obvious.  But what really counts is what the phone looks like when you're looking at it in normal room conditions, and in that case I bet the phone looks great.  And compared to what you started with, it DOES look great.  Stop worrying! 8)
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan on September 12, 2009, 07:54:34 AM
Beautiful. It is nice that you had a soft-centered finger wheel around. Is this one made prior to 6-59 or later?

5-59.  The dial that was on it was a 9C from 72, even though there were no refurbishment stickers on the phone.  Transmitter is from 67, receiver from 61. I got a period correct dial from Bingster:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

I'd like to take credit for the dial, but it wasn't me.  And those refurb stickers can dry up and fall off over time, so you don't always see them in place on a phone that's had a refurb.
= DARRIN =

Jester

Quote from: bingster on September 12, 2009, 07:48:09 PM
I'd like to take credit for the dial, but it wasn't me. 

I'll take the credit, since I'm the one who offered & shipped that dial.  BTW Bingster, if you still need a red dial bezel, I think I can help.
Stephen

Greg G.

Quote from: Jester on September 12, 2009, 08:37:12 PM
I'd like to take credit for the dial, but it wasn't me. 

I'll take the credit, since I'm the one who offered & shipped that dial.  BTW Bingster, if you still need a red dial bezel, I think I can help.

Oops, yes it was jester, sorry about that!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on September 12, 2009, 09:34:37 AM
Brinybay, I wouldn't worry too much about how the phone looks in photos.  A camera flash does indeed make the minutest flaw painfully obvious.  But what really counts is what the phone looks like when you're looking at it in normal room conditions, and in that case I bet the phone looks great.  And compared to what you started with, it DOES look great.  Stop worrying! 8)

I'm not, that was just a tongue-in-cheek remark.  Actually, that feature of the camera comes in handy when I need to see details or numbers I can't see or read otherwise.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

And those refurb stickers can dry up and fall off over time, so you don't always see them in place on a phone that's had a refurb.

Bingster is correct. Those stickers do fall off. One other thing I see on the bottom says "refurb" to me. Do you see the areas on the base that look like someone colored in the wear points with a black magic marker? That's a sure sign of a refurb. Or a very neat child playing with a marker.  :) They did that instead of painting the entire base.
Jonathan

Greg G.

Quote from: jsowers on September 14, 2009, 09:59:34 AM
And those refurb stickers can dry up and fall off over time, so you don't always see them in place on a phone that's had a refurb.

Bingster is correct. Those stickers do fall off. One other thing I see on the bottom says "refurb" to me. Do you see the areas on the base that look like someone colored in the wear points with a black magic marker? That's a sure sign of a refurb. Or a very neat child playing with a marker.  :) They did that instead of painting the entire base.

I've seen that on other phones and wondered what that was about, thanks for the tip!

Dang, now all the phones within reach I just picked up and looked at the bottom!
- Mike Row
e