News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer's not ringing

Started by buddy, December 12, 2012, 01:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buddy

I have a (1945) Northern Electric model#1, plus a (1951) Western Electric model F1, each have 3 wires. I can call out on each , but the ringer does not ring on incoming calls, i have comcast telephone service, but i don't think this matters. HELP! thank you buddy

WesternElectricBen

I'm not a professional, though I know a bit. If other rotarys work on Comcast then its not service. It could be possible Comcast dosn't supply enough voltage to ring bells or needs a new cap. Hope that helps
Ben

LarryInMichigan

This question is asked every week or two.  Move the wire from the ringer which is connected to the yellow wire from the line cord to the contact where the green wire from the line cord is connected.  If that doesn't work, move it to the contact with the red line cord wire..

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: buddy on December 12, 2012, 01:22:16 PM
I have a (1945) Northern Electric model#1, plus a (1951) Western Electric model F1, each have 3 wires. I can call out on each , but the ringer does not ring on incoming calls, i have comcast telephone service, but i don't think this matters. HELP! thank you buddy
I have Comcast. It will work. Red to L1 inside the phone Green to L2. Wherever yellow is terminated inside the phone, bring it to L2 with a little wire to jump it. If that doesn't work L1. There is a little metal bar by the clapper on the ringer, move it all the way to the front. If the wires are on the line cord, bring yellow to red, if that doesn't work bring it to green....Welcome to the Forum.......Merry Christmas....Doug
Kidphone

buddy

Quote from: WesternElectricMcCabe on December 17, 2012, 05:18:27 PM
I'm not a professional, though I know a bit. If other rotarys work on Comcast then its not service. It could be possible Comcast dosn't supply enough voltage to ring bells or needs a new cap. Hope that helps
Ben

buddy

Thanks you all for your help. I will try your suggestions. You guys are great. MERRY XMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR. Buddy

Bill

If nothing else helps, let me ask this. Is it possible that the wires to just one of the two ringer coils have become reversed somehow? If yours is a 4-wire ringer, it is pretty easy. With a two-wire ringer, not so much.

Bill

buddy

Again, Thank you all, for your help. I couldn't do it without your help. Merry Xmas Buddy