Main Menu

Lets see your 5302's guys and gals

Started by Kenny C, November 25, 2010, 03:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

Ed

N7LTH

Thank you!

I do hope to restore these to the best of my ability once I retire in 18 or so months (or maybe start before). There's just SOMETHING about these 5302s...
You know you have either phonitis or phonosis when your favorite film is "Dial Comes to Town".

kleenax

WHITE WE 5302 that I owned about 15 yrs ago.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

FABphones

5302G. Recent purchase. Looking forward to taking a look inside, and making it shine...
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

I've just got this one via eBay for £18 plus £7 P&P (about US$32 total). Looks like it was converted by an independent as it's not Bell Systems marked and the base has no markings or ringer volume slider. Case is dated 4 10 62 and the base 10-37 - quite an early one! Handset is an F1W.
One of these has been on my wanted list for quite some time as they rarely turn up in the UK.

HarrySmith

Quote from: FABphones on July 27, 2020, 04:18:16 AM
5302G. Recent purchase. Looking forward to taking a look inside, and making it shine...

Did this one ever make it to the workbench?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

I got a NOS on the cheap last year on eBay and added it to a really nice 5302 base and a F1 handset.

I do like the looks of a 5302.....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on March 08, 2021, 09:19:13 AM
I've just got this one...

Brilliant. Glad that went to you. Always good to see phones turn up here 'in the family'. Looks to be in a nice condition.

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 08, 2021, 09:25:04 AM
Did this one ever make it to the workbench?

I'll answer on my workshop thread so I don't send this thread off topic.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23861.45
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on March 08, 2021, 12:09:57 PM
Brilliant. Glad that went to you. Always good to see phones turn up here 'in the family'. Looks to be in a nice condition.

Apart from a small amount of rust around the feet it's in very nice shape. The same seller sold another a short while ago but I missed out on that one. This one was cheaper and I think is actually nicer, especially as it has an early chassis.
:)

MMikeJBenN27

To Tubaman:

Wow!  This one is an oldie!  This started life as a 1937 302!  You can tell by the base plate.  That type was used ONLY in late 36, when the 302 came out, - 1937.

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

And by the induction coil.  It faces the opposite direction from most other 300 series phones.

Mike

Randbell

Sideways collector question... If someone had just one 5302 example, which handset would be preferable (F1 or G1), or does it make any real difference to desirability beyond aesthetic personal preference? For whatever reason, I've passed on this one for years because I told myself it was a bit of a transitional Frankenstein, lol... And now I'm dying to add an example to the collection.

HarrySmith

Whatever you prefer. They were designed for both. I prefer the GF handset as I feel that is the "transitional" one, looks like a G but has F elements.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Quote from: Randbell on April 21, 2022, 08:34:46 AMIf someone had just one 5302 example, ...
Of course, the natural course of phonitis is to start with one example  -- but soon have all three choices.

So, which do you want first?

I started with the F1, as it was the first I ran across. It has been joined by several more sets. Like Harry, my favorite is the GF.

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#GF
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

Quote from: Randbell on April 21, 2022, 08:34:46 AMSideways collector question... If someone had just one 5302 example, which handset would be preferable (F1 or G1), or does it make any real difference to desirability beyond aesthetic personal preference? For whatever reason, I've passed on this one for years because I told myself it was a bit of a transitional Frankenstein, lol... And now I'm dying to add an example to the collection.

There are actually 4 handsets that are correct for 5300-series sets: G1, GF, F1, and F4.

The sets with G1 or F4 handsets should also have 6H dials. The 6-type is more precise, which is helpful on longer loops, where the T1 transmitter unit and the U1 receiver unit would normally be used (whether with a 500 or 5302).

The GF or F1 handset would be a better match for short loops. Close to the Central Office, a 5302 with G1 handset had high sidetone. Southern Bell, however, used 5302s with either G1 or F1 handsets on short loops, despite the specifications. (I still remember the high sidetone on our leased 5302G-3G.)

BTW, the 5300 is *not* a transitional set, as it was introduced 6 years after.the 500.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.