News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

I was wrong about the handset wire colors. They are the same as a line cord. Green, Red, Yellow and Black. I have not seen a handset with these color wires before. Is this normal? How would I hook it up? I will have to see if the volume is better once I get this wired in.
Thanks.
Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: 3554 ISSUE
Last post by HarrySmith - Today at 07:21:43 AM
Last night I worked on this a bit. First, I hooked it up to my Panasonic without doing anything and it worked fine. Dial tone, rings & dials out. He said it did nothing at his house but made his other phones not work. He has a 500 I gave him years ago that has always worked fine. I moved the hook switch slate wire from A to L2 and now I get a fast busy signal. I will have to compare the wiring diagram you posted to the phone tonight and see if it matches.
Collector's Corner / Re: French Grammont phone frag...
Last post by countryman - Today at 04:31:28 AM
Interesting to see this dial with French lettering and the (apparently original) LMT card on a French type 24 phone!
Last post by poplar1 - Today at 02:16:45 AM
3554 with 2-wire ringer on the right.
3554 with 4-wire ringer has the ringer connected the same as in the NE 500/554 on the left, except that the black ringer wire should go to L1 rather than G.

If you leave the slate wire on A, with the 4-conductor ringer connected as in a 500, then when the phone is on-hook, L1 is connected to A through the hook switch contacts "a" and "b. "Thus, the 2650 ringer coil would be shorted whenever the phone is on-hook.
Last post by HarrySmith - Yesterday at 04:39:45 PM
I just got it back. Unfortunately I gave it to him before I saw your message about moving the hook switch wire. I am going to do that tonight. Thanks!
Collector's Corner / Re: French Grammont phone frag...
Last post by Etienne - Yesterday at 04:29:15 PM
Found this phone for sale (not mine) with a closeup of the dial card.
https://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/2520392510.htm

Interesting dial maker's card, LMT was one of the 2 french ITT subsidiaries (the other one being Thomson-Houston).
Last post by poplar1 - Yesterday at 03:21:33 PM
Harry, did you get the phone to ring without ring trip?
GPO Pay Phones / Re: The British Telecom CT6000...
Last post by Tony Whitley - Yesterday at 10:27:39 AM
There was a 20p version with a couple of different components in the coin mech but 40 years later I can't remember whether it was sold or was only a prototype.
New Member Introductions / "Mr Moneybox"
Last post by Tony Whitley - Yesterday at 10:15:30 AM
Hi all,

I wrote the software for the "Moneybox" payphone (which involved a fair bit of input to the mechanics and electronics) back in 1984/5.  Prior to that I worked at GEC writing the software for their offering for the BT street payphone tender (won by Plessey which was a nasty shock as we didn't know they were tendering).

The attractions of payphones were eclipsed by the new kid on the block, cellular phones, and I moved to Technophone and spent most of the rest of my career writing mobile phone software.

I still have the engineering model Moneybox and the source code listings are in the attic! I have many war stories from those days, if you're not careful I may post some of them. As a taster: we wanted to test the coin mechanism for weaknesses so ordered (from memory) £3,000 of 10p pieces from the local bank.  This was an unusual request which took quite a while to fulfil! When they finally arrived I opened them up to find they were all newly-minted where we wanted used coins to see the effect of dirt build up; we returned them the same day and expressed our requirements more precisely which must have made us the bank's least-favourite customer  >:(

https://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8634.msg92676#msg92676