News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mystery glass shard

Started by Greg G., March 26, 2015, 01:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Found this glass shard while strolling the creek side of our house with my morning coffee.  It was partly imbedded in the ground and probably exposed as a result of recent rains and the fact that I raked up a couple decades worth of pine needles not too long ago.

The glass is thick and curved, with remnants of a gray colored coating and a part of a curved red marking that may have been a circle.  From the looks of it, I don't think it was a bottle, my guess it was something automotive.  Any ideas?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

Looking at the thickness, the greyed out parts and the red bits, I'd say it used to be a CRT screen of somesort...

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 26, 2015, 01:09:37 PM
Looking at the thickness, the greyed out parts and the red bits, I'd say it used to be a CRT screen of somesort...
Just what I was going to post when it told me there had been another post at the same time, so I reloaded, and there you were guessing the same. I near shard my shorts! :) Great minds think alike!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I was about to say a headlight shell, but they aren't that thick usually and they're mirrored too, rather than greyed... ;D

WEBellSystemChristian

This is what I got when I searched; "CRT screen shard": ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

It does look like a sealed beam headlight,  usually on items like that when they are silvered they put other coatings on them to protect the silvering.  The sealed joint that shows appears to be from an assembled external envelope for an inner envelope for the filament, etc.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

Is the gray coating electrically conductive? That would be a CRT.

Bill

Russ Kirk

I'm thinking someone dumped an old TV.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HarrySmith

My thought exactly!  Definitely not a headlight, wrong shape.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

Quote from: Bill on March 27, 2015, 03:52:45 PM
Is the gray coating electrically conductive? That would be a CRT.

Bill
Don't know, should I plug it in to an outlet and see what lights up?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

No, just put a meter across it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

My other guess is it was part of a sign.  There is a mound overgrown with wild plants and weeds where I found it by the back corner of the lot, not sure why it's there but it's been there for decades.    The house is 100 years old, but my guess is it is simply leftover construction dirt from when the previous owner put in a rockery next to the creek in the early 80s (there's 2 or 3 of the rocks protruding from the mound).  The treasure hunter in me says dig it up and see!
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

After "reviewing footage" of bare CRTs, I can certainly say it's a piece of a CRT... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx79zJO4zgA

TelePlay

Quote from: Brinybay on March 28, 2015, 01:57:56 PM
The treasure hunter in me says dig it up and see!

Yes, indeed, a small screening pan or table and go for it. But if you do, make sure you have a very good lawyer  ;) at hand. Remember the homeowners in northern California who was just out walking his dog about a year ago?

If not, here's the gist of one story I found quickly about it: "A Northern California couple out walking their dog on their Gold Country property stumbled across a modern-day bonanza: $10 million in rare, mint-condition gold coins buried in the shadow of an old tree. Nearly all of the 1,427 coins, dating from 1847 to 1894, are in uncirculated, mint condition, said David Hall, co-founder of Professional Coin Grading Service of Santa Ana, which recently authenticated them. Although the face value of the gold pieces only adds up to about $27,000, some of them are so rare that coin experts say they could fetch nearly $1 million apiece.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-couple-finds-10m-gold-coins-buried-yard-n38471