News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Simple 500 set Timeline Questions

Started by Kenton K, September 14, 2014, 01:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

I just have a few questions on when WE changed/transitioned parts.

1. Font on WE black bezels. I believe it went from semi-circle operator  to small and slightly curved operator in ~1950. Then they used injection molded letters which stretched out the operator in ???. Then they began using bold font in 1953? I have two bezel pictures that I believe are of different font.

So is there a definitive year the fonts changed and when back painted bezels stopped?

2. When did open center plastic finger wheels change from thick to slightly thinner?

3. When did Bakelite caps become soft plastic caps?

4. First 500 C/D set?

5. Not a timeline questions, but what is the difference between C2A ringer and C4A? The only difference I can see is olive wrapped coils. :o

Sorry for being such a newb.

-Kenton

unbeldi

Quote from: Kenton K on September 14, 2014, 01:22:03 AM
I just have a few questions on when WE changed/transitioned parts.

1. Font on WE black bezels. I believe it went from semi-circle operator  to small and slightly curved operator in ~1950. Then they used injection molded letters which stretched out the operator in ???. Then they began using bold font in 1953? I have two bezel pictures that I believe are of different font.

So is there a definitive year the fonts changed and when back painted bezels stopped?

2. When did open center plastic finger wheels change from thick to slightly thinner?

3. When did Bakelite caps become soft plastic caps?

4. First 500 C/D set?

5. Not a timeline questions, but what is the difference between C2A ringer and C4A? The only difference I can see is olive wrapped coils. :o
The C3A and C4A had small mechanical and material differences in the hinge design that mounts the armature.
The C3A had only one winding and no magnetic shunt.
The latest C2A, I have, or even have seen, I believe, is from 6-53 (500C-3). I think the C2A was used almost since the start of appreciable production distribution late in 1950.
You may want to consult C31.207 on ringers.

C/D models were out in 1951.  The significant change was the use of the 425B network, which eliminated the separate equalizer.  Only the 500 J/K/T models continued with the 425A for a while.

AFAIK, the clear dial face plates with black paint were replaced with two-layer injection-molded faceplates in 1952.  The earlier curled or strongly curved OPERATOR was replaced long by the end of 1950.

Dan/Panther

Here is a variation you may want to add.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenton K

Wow, I totally forgot about that beauty! That's a field trial set right?

And thank you Unbeldi for clarifying some of my questions.

-Ken

Dan/Panther

Yes it is. I never pass up a chance to show that piece off. I just love it.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson