News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson Model 1212 - "Fat Boy"

Started by Dennis Markham, October 03, 2010, 12:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallphone

Dennis, what was the solution to the problem?

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 03, 2010, 01:23:16 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the Fat Boy.  Does anyone have one of these? 

No, but I want one.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

I ran a jumper line from the green mounting cord line to the ground where one of the ringer wires is attached. 

Wallphone

It looks like that by doing that you are bypassing the 1MF condenser.

Dennis Markham

I'm not convinced it's wired correctly.  I read the schematic to the best of my ability (which isn't much when it comes to those) and wired it the way I THOUGHT was correct and it wouldn't work at all.  I wired it according to how it was wired when I got it and that's how it's working now. 

I notice that my condenser is marked .7 mf and 1.5 mf.  The drawing in the schematic was 1 and 2 mf. 

So as it is now it rings, the clarity on transmit and receive is good and I can dial out.  It seems to function normally.  I would like to do it "right" but after moving and re-moving wires so many times and trying to match the schematic's drawings, I am satisfied for the moment with the way it is.  I'm all ears if someone would like to straighten me out on this.

I have looked at the drawings from several sources and they're all the same one for this phone.

But now that you mention it, I can see where the current goes directly to the ringer now and not through the condenser. 

Suggestions?

KeithB

Sounds like that condenser has dried up / gone completely open.  Maybe source a similar one from elsewhere?  Maybe from a 302?

Dennis Markham

Thanks Keith.  I've moved wires around so much that I MAY not be wiring it correctly.  I think I should try and see if I can do that before concluding that the condenser is bad.  I'm sure that can be tested.  The electrical end of the phone is not my forte, admittedly.   I'll look into it later tonight and start over.  The first thing I need to determine is which drawing on the schematic applies to the phone I have.

Attached is the schematic I've been using as reference.

Wallphone

All four diagrams are the same as far as jumping the condenser. It all depends on what dial you have for wiring the rest of it. Really impressive that they misspelled "Auto" (Atuo) in the middle diagram.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 04, 2010, 10:27:39 AM
Thanks Keith.  I've moved wires around so much that I MAY not be wiring it correctly.  I think I should try and see if I can do that before concluding that the condenser is bad.  I'm sure that can be tested.  The electrical end of the phone is not my forte, admittedly.   I'll look into it later tonight and start over.  The first thing I need to determine is which drawing on the schematic applies to the phone I have.

Attached is the schematic I've been using as reference.
Dennis.....if the condenser is gone, I have a few 1543 hanging around for parts. I "assume" they should be interchangeable....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Thank you to both Dougs.

DougPav, what I'm going to do is start from scratch.  I'm going to remove all the wires from all the connections and go at them one at a time.  I'm going to use the diagram for bridged ringing, using the AE dial diagram that has 5 terminals.  That is the diagram to the far left side of the page.  The condenser in the example has 1 and 2 mf values.  As I mentioned earlier, mine has .7 and 1.5.  Is that an issue??

The dial in this set is an AE dial with five terminals, two strapped.

junkjer

Maybe I'm nuts to try to revive a four-year-old thread but I'm new here and I've run into basically the same problem and I haven't been able to solve it.  I bought an SC 1212 with a frequency ringer and I've replaced that ringer with a standard one.  I'm 99% sure I have it all wired correctly but it still won't ring.  Could there be a problem with the "new" standard ringer?  If so, what?  And how would I fix that?

Thanks in advance!

AE40FAN

TelePlay

Quote from: junkjer on August 09, 2014, 03:18:37 PM
Could there be a problem with the "new" standard ringer?  If so, what?  And how would I fix that?

Couple of quick things to try.

Does any other phone you have ring on the line you are using to ring the 1212 with the new ringer?

Did the new ringer work in the phone you took it out of?

If the ringer did not come in another phone, did you try the ringer in another phone that works (using alligator clip jumper cables to connect the new ringer to the working phone is a quick way to connect it)?

Did you try hooking up a working ringer to the 1212 circuit (using alligator cables again) to see if it rings in the 1212?

And, can you post pictures of the 1212 wiring as you now have it.

junkjer

Thank you for the quick reply.  I'll do the ringer tests you describe in the morning (don't want to wake anyone up if the thing works) but I have tried to hook up a known working ringer from another phone and I've had no luck.  The "new" ringer came from a batch of spare parts I bought.
I have tried using new capacitors with no luck.  When I test the "new" ringer there is no sign of life at all, no motion, regardless of the tension on the spring.
Pictures are here.

Update:  I have again tried a known ringer on the 1212 using alligator clips and it rings.  I have also tried hooking up the 1212 ringer to another phone and the 1212 ringer did not ring.  So what can make an old ringer fail?