News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

French U43

Started by countryman, May 17, 2019, 04:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

This Ericsson design was released by french PTT in the middle of WWII. My individual set is a very late 1963 model. The lack of a ringer is typical french, as they had wall mounted ringers and used phone plugs in more than one room early on. A buzzer (ronfleur, Rf in the diagram) was optional. The extra receiver also was more or less a french standard.
The diagram shows wiring options for manual or automatic systems. They all were still in use in it's time.
A series of resistors could be wired in-line with the network for some reason.
I have cleaned and glued the crack meanwhile and it does not look as bad any more. Unfortunately, the light colored duroplasts are inclined to shrink and crack from internal stress. I've seen a similarly cracked one in a different thread here.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on May 17, 2019, 04:34:10 AM
The diagram shows wiring options for manual or automatic systems. They all were still in use in it's time.

As well as CB manual, magneto service was also catered for and there was a nice little magneto that fit in place of the dial.

A series of resistors could be wired in-line with the network for some reason.

I am not certain but line length compensation would be one possibility.

Unfortunately, the light colored duroplasts are inclined to shrink and crack from internal stress. I've seen a similarly cracked one in a different thread here.

I don't know when the ivory sets were released but I imagine it was later than the phone's introduction in 1943.  Early thermoset (duroplast) ivory telephones were urea formaldehyde and it did fade and shrink somewhat - there was often enough shrinkage to cause cracking around metal inclusions. I don't know about French Ericsson but Swedish Ericsson used melamine formaldehyde for coloured sets - it was harder and more stable than urea. Perhaps I am lucky but I have two ivory U43s and neither show any sign of cracking.

Regards
Jack

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 18, 2019, 12:14:23 AM
As well as CB manual, magneto service was also catered for and there was a nice little magneto that fit in place of the dial.

Photo of Magneto. These were also fitted to some of the earlier Laurent models.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble