"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to recover suede feet

Started by BDM, March 24, 2009, 01:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

Quote from: foots on March 22, 2010, 01:35:46 PM
  On the bottom of several 202s that I've seen, including my own I've noticed that there are several dark triangular shaped areas around the circumference on the leather that puzzled me. I've since learned that there were pads that were on the bottom that appeared to be made of cork and I actually missed buying a pack of these on E-bay. Were these pads used in the earlier days and then removed? Or did they just fall off or what?

The triangular (also sometimes round) shape was left by rubber-cork pads that were added to the base plate cover on 102's and 202's.  Many of these have fallen off over the years.  Usually these are found on fabric (woven felt) rather than leather covers since the fabric slid on tables when dialing. 

The following is taken from "From the Far Corners of the Earth" (1939) Pg 68:

"Leather is used  to cover the bases of deskset telephones because, when dialing, it surface holds the telephone to the table more firmly".

The rubber-cork pads were glued onto the fabric covers if customers complained.

You can find .pdf of the 1927 and 1939 editions of "From the Far Corners of the Earth" here:

http://www.telephonearchive.com/pdf_page/index.html

You can find examples of the triangular pads here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dencins/NewCorkPads#  ( dead link 1-28-2018 )

Dennis

bingster

On the bottom of several 202s that I've seen, including my own I've noticed that there are several dark triangular shaped areas around the circumference on the leather that puzzled me. I've since learned that there were pads that were on the bottom that appeared to be made of cork and I actually missed buying a pack of these on E-bay. Were these pads used in the earlier days and then removed? Or did they just fall off or what?

These were installed when the customer complained of a phone slipping during dialling, or sliding because of the tension of a spring cord. You often see them stuck to the bottom plates of D-mounts, too.  They have a tendency to "drift" and fall off.
= DARRIN =

dencins

Quote from: dencins on March 22, 2010, 03:49:01 PM

The triangular (also sometimes round) shape was left by rubber-cork pads that were added to the base plate cover on 102's and 202's.  Many of these have fallen off over the years.  Usually these are found on fabric (woven felt) rather than leather covers since the fabric slid on tables when dialing.  

"Leather is used  to cover the bases of deskset telephones because, when dialing, it surface holds the telephone to the table more firmly".

You can find .pdf of the 1927 and 1939 editions of "From the Far Corners of the Earth" here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dencins/NewCorkPads#

Dennis

If anyone is interested in using felt cloth rather than suede to recover a base, the closest thing available today is pool table felt cloth.  The colors vary by manufacturer so the best way would be to match the color to an old base cover.

I have seen light green (very old candlestick) and dark burgundy (102 and 202) pads.

Historically felt cloth was used on old candlesticks before dials were added.  People were used to holding the candlestick so slipping on a table was not an issue.  Once dials were added, the change started on base plate covers.  When the desk stand and handset replaced the candlestick, people wanted to dial while holding the handset not the desk stand.  Rubber-cork pads were put on felt covers and new phones were made with suede base plate covers. 

Dennis

foots

Thanks dencins and bingster for clearing up the mystery.  My phone has a leather base and has the triangles on the bottom. I've even seen the triangles on phones in movies made back when those phones were new.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dencins on March 22, 2010, 07:24:43 PM
Quote from: dencins on March 22, 2010, 03:49:01 PM

The triangular (also sometimes round) shape was left by rubber-cork pads that were added to the base plate cover on 102's and 202's.  Many of these have fallen off over the years.  Usually these are found on fabric (woven felt) rather than leather covers since the fabric slid on tables when dialing. 

"Leather is used  to cover the bases of deskset telephones because, when dialing, it surface holds the telephone to the table more firmly".

http://picasaweb.google.com/dencins/NewCorkPads#  (dead link)

Dennis

If anyone is interested in using felt cloth rather than suede to recover a base, the closest thing available today is pool table felt cloth.  The colors vary by manufacturer so the best way would be to match the color to an old base cover.

I have seen light green (very old candlestick) and dark burgundy (102 and 202) pads. I have also seen the BSP about adding the non-skid pads.
Jim

Historically felt cloth was used on old candlesticks before dials were added.  People were used to holding the candlestick so slipping on a table was not an issue.  Once dials were added, the change started on base plate covers.  When the desk stand and handset replaced the candlestick, people wanted to dial while holding the handset not the desk stand.  Rubber-cork pads were put on felt covers and new phones were made with suede base plate covers. 

Dennis

I have seen NOS replacement felt w/ an outline for adding the triangle pads.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dencins

Thanks Jim.  I did not think of the BSP.

It can be found here:

http://wedophones.com/TheBellSystem/pdf/bsp/200/C38.325.pdf

Do you recall how the outline was made on NOS felt pads?  Ink?  Impression?

Dennis

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dencins on March 24, 2010, 11:33:38 AM
Thanks Jim.  I did not think of the BSP.

It can be found here:

http://wedophones.com/TheBellSystem/pdf/bsp/200/C38.325.pdf

Do you recall how the outline was made on NOS felt pads?  Ink?  Impression?

Dennis

They were done as an impression. 
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

As far a suede is concerned, don't waste your money on Tandy's remnants they are too thick and only black and tan.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Netdewt

I called the local store and they have chocolate pigskin suede remnants also. It's pretty sheer though, 1.5-2oz.

Netdewt

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 17, 2010, 07:54:27 PM
Dennis;
The felt pad is mentioned, with a caution NOT to forget it.

Where did you get your felt? It looks a bit like the stuff you get at the hardware store for putting on furniture legs. I'm hoping that will work.

Phonesrfun

I think I remember someone saying on another forum that they had gotten a suede jacket from Goodwill and cut it up for feet.  I don't remember it that was Dencins or someone else.

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 27, 2010, 01:13:53 AM
I think I remember someone saying on another forum that they had gotten a suede jacket from Goodwill and cut it up for feet.  I don't remember it that was Dencins or someone else.

I remember that post, I am almost certain it was "Dencins the podiatrist".
It was way back in the day. He was only an advanced intern then.
Jim
You live, You learn,

dencins

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 05, 1974, 08:13:53 PM

The suede jacket comment was from Bobby Koch on the Singingwires board.  I have never tried using a suede jacket for footpads or base plate covers.

I have tried various suede including some from Joanne's, Tandy Leather and other craft places but not a suede jacket.  The one I found that matched the WECo suede in thickness and softness was the Sheer Suede Splits from Tandy Leather but the problem is they only sell in 12 sq ft minimum order.

I did find a one foot square of regular suede at Joanne's Fabric and Crafts that is thicker and stiffer than I use but it can be put on footpads with some effort.  I think it was also from Tandy but sold by Joanne's.  The corners are difficult to do and tend to bunch up but it can be done. 

Dennis 

Netdewt

Tandy had a scrap of brushed leather that I think will be big enough to do all four feet (maybe 6x12in). He said I could just have it. It's a tiny bit warmer color than the chocolate, but I can always change it later if I hate this.

EDIT: OKAY THIS IS HARD.

Netdewt

Got my feet back from Dennis today and they are perfect. The leather I was trying to use was nearly twice as thick as he is using (he sent me a sample). Thanks!