News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal WE 306 H5 in Vermilion on Shell

Started by Doug Rose, August 07, 2014, 05:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked up a really nice metal WE 306 stamped on bottom, H5 stamped on shell. IV46 on coil, 12/45 on base. This was done by WE with the H5 stamped on the shell. Just what is the difference of a 306 and a 302. Quick glance the parts look the same. Why metal this late in the game, no concave c's on shell. It in really nice shape for paint....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 07, 2014, 05:28:55 AM
I picked up a really nice metal WE 306 stamped on bottom, H5 stamped on shell. IV46 on coil, 12/45 on base. This was done by WE with the H5 stamped on the shell. Just what is the difference of a 306 and a 302. Quick glance the parts look the same. Why metal this late in the game, no concave c's on shell. It in really nice shape for paint....thanks....Doug

A 306 had a vacuum tube for polarized ringing with a B3A ringer. H5 mounting code is correct. It was used for four-party selective and eight-party semi-selective service. The B3A ringer has only 2000 ohms DC resistance, so is a low-impedance ringer.

Doug Rose

Karl...that what surprised me, no tube. Dated 12/45 on ringer and elements are 12/45, NO date on base on inside, 306 C 3 12/45 on bottom outside. H5 clearly marked on shell. I know an H7, 307 has a tube. Why is is marked H5 if it is a 306?? Paint is really really good. Cords were cut....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 07, 2014, 05:43:03 PM
Karl...that what surprised me, no tube. Dated 12/45 on ringer and elements are 12/45, NO date on base on inside, 306 C 3 12/45 on bottom outside. H5 clearly marked on shell. I know an H7, 307 has a tube. Why is is marked H5 if it is a 306?? Paint is really really good. Cords were cut....Doug

A 307 doesn't have a tube, that's a local battery talking common battery signaling set.  It has an extra retardation coil though.  The only other set that had a tube, I think, is the 309 which is the local battery equivalent of the 306.

Someone must have removed the tube and used it as a straight 302.  It's an easy conversion.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

poplar1

306 (H5) also has a capacitor with only 2 wires since with a tube, no ringing capacitor is needed. Can you check the date on the 4-wire capacitor?

Can you also check the handset? Is it solid core or hollow? Is there a date code (such as 125) on the lip of the receiver cavity? I'm looking for any info on F-type handsets made between 7/45 and 4/46.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

The 306 also had a different condenser, the 195C,  looks to me the condenser in your set has been changed as well.

Doug Rose

David 86 hollow
Kidphone

unbeldi

looks like the standard handset of the time (Aug 46), what I call a type 10, weighs ~225g.

Doug Rose

What's with the date on the bottom outside, more like a 500 set than a 302. Definitely a cool phone for a cool price of $20.51 and $12.75 shipping,,,,Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131249258096
Kidphone

unbeldi

My take on the stamps is that these (on the outside) were always applied at the refurbishing or distribution center work shops.  For example, every original metallic color set I have seen, had a stamp on the bottom, because they were not made at the factory.

So, accordingly, I would say, this one became a 306 there also. The set has matching dates almost everywhere, except for the handset handle, which is a little later.  What is the date on the dial?

For circuit reference, I just uploaded my diagrams for the 306 here.

poplar1

The 400- series sets were always stamped (model and date) when originally manufactured. But the 306 markings on this set are a mystery.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.