News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Wiring Diagram For Nickel / Chrome ?? Plated Leich Non-Dial Cndlestick

Started by gands-antiques, September 05, 2015, 10:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

I am trying to locate a wiring diagram for this Leich candlestick because it isn't available in the TCI Library. Please provide the specific model name/number for the candlestick and a wiring diagram if anyone happens to have one.   

Also, I am not sure when these Leich non-dial candlestick telephones were manufactured but I have seen dates of 1912 - ????. 

Some descriptions says they are nickel plated and some say they are chrome plated.  Any help with the correct manufacture dates and the correct plating information will be appreciated. 

Thanks,
Gary

G-Man

You may want to check the TCI Members Only Library; ISTR some Leich info in there.

Phonesrfun

I have no clue as to its model number or whether it is nickel or chrome, but I am pretty sure that you will find that the wiring would be the same as a WE 20 or 40 using a 534A or 295A subset.  Of course the terminals in the Leich will be labeled differently from the WE, but it was a pretty common circuit at the time.
-Bill G

gands-antiques

Quote from: G-Man on September 06, 2015, 12:37:53 AM
You may want to check the TCI Members Only Library; ISTR some Leich info in there.

Thanks...I appreciate the information.
Gary

gands-antiques

Quote from: Phonesrfun on September 06, 2015, 01:20:57 AM
I have no clue as to its model number or whether it is nickel or chrome, but I am pretty sure that you will find that the wiring would be the same as a WE 20 or 40 using a 534A or 295A subset.  Of course the terminals in the Leich will be labeled differently from the WE, but it was a pretty common circuit at the time.

Thanks Bill.   I appreciate it.
Gary

unbeldi

I believe this may be one of the 1910s desk stands that used a series circuit with a direct current receiver.   If so, the hook switch in your set should have only a single contact.  These used no induction coil at all, and the receiver and transmitter simply were bridged across the line.

To verify, pictures of the opened receiver unit would help, as well as of the switch pile up.

The later desk stands was the No. 1 which used a standard booster circuit induction coil.

PS, sorry, I overlooked that you actually did post a picture of the switch.  This appears as a three-contact switch, which simply connects all three wires.  Still a picture of the type of receiver would be useful.

dencins

I do not recall if the Leich parts I have plated were chrome or nickel.  My memory says they are nickel but I do not trust my memory as much any more.

Commercial use of chromium over nickel plating did not become available until 1924 and this was mainly used by the automotive industry on bumpers starting in 1927.  Use of chrome on telephone parts started in the 1930's so most plated candlestick phone parts were only nickel plated.  The more common use of chrome was by Automatic Electric starting on the AE35 decorative parts like the transmitter/ receiver rings, butler handles, finger wheels, etc.

One way to tell is to put the part next to a part you know is nickel plated in sunlight.  Chrome plating will have a blue tint while the nickel plating will have a yellow tint.

Dennis Hallworth

gands-antiques

Thanks Dennis.  I compared it to a candlestick you nickel plated and it looks pretty close.

Gary

unbeldi

It should be very easy to figure out what the connections are in that base.  Trace the wires to the receiver and the transmitter and draw a diagram.

I can see three wires emerging from the switch contacts.
Here is a likely candidate of circuit.

The mounting cord as drawn is color coded according to the WECo style. If you have a WECo subset, a 295A or a 534A, you can use those colors as guide for connecting.

gands-antiques

Quote from: unbeldi on September 06, 2015, 10:06:15 AM
It should be very easy to figure out what the connections are in that base.  Trace the wires to the receiver and the transmitter and draw a diagram.

I can see three wires emerging from the switch contacts.
Here is a likely candidate of circuit.

The mounting cord as drawn is color coded according to the WECo style. If you have a WECo subset, a 295A or a 534A, you can use those colors as guide for connecting.

Thanks, I will trace the wires.  I believe there is an issue with the hook switch, because I connected a line cord to various terminal combinations yesterday it has an open circuit regardless if the receiver is on or off of the hook.   

There are no L1 and L2 designations on the phone.

Thanks,
Gary

wds

Is there a coil missing from your base?  Here is a thread that discussed wiring diagrams for your style candlestick.

Leich candlestick
Dave

gands-antiques

Quote from: wds on September 06, 2015, 10:29:20 AM
Is there a coil missing from your base?  Here is a thread that discussed wiring diagrams for your style candlestick.

Leich candlestick

Thanks, It does look like mine is missing the coil.

Thanks,
Gary

unbeldi

Looking at your picture of the switches again, and comparing it with those in wds' postings, it appears that the switch actually has four springs, but only three are connected?
Higher resolution pictures with better focus would help.
So, having a four-spring switch would mean that this set originated in the 1930s, for possible use in anti-sidetone circuits.  The catalog of 1938 indicates that the anti-sidetone sets didn't have an induction coil but needed the No. 8 subset.
So it could possibly be a No. 51 type desk stand, but perhaps not wired completely for AST.

gands-antiques

Quote from: unbeldi on September 06, 2015, 10:51:18 AM
Looking at your picture of the switches again, and comparing it with those in wds' postings, it appears that the switch actually has four springs, but only three are connected?
Higher resolution pictures with better focus would help.
So, having a four-spring switch would mean that this set originated in the 1930s, for possible use in anti-sidetone circuits.  The catalog of 1938 indicates that the anti-sidetone sets didn't have an induction coil but needed the No. 8 subset.
So it could possibly be a No. 51 type desk stand, but perhaps not wired completely for AST.

Since my phone doesn't have a coil and I don't have a #8 subset is troubleshooting it going to work?

Thanks,
Gary