"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RJ-11, RJ-14, and RJ-25 Modular Jack Wiring

Started by unbeldi, May 16, 2016, 11:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Key2871

I remember at some point I ordered handset modular ends.
When I got them the paperwork denoted them as RJ22.
But from what I read today in your great list of information, those didn't have a number with RJ at the beginning.
So those were only known as 4P4C?
KEN

280Parka

Thanks DSK, that was a very informative link.  I guess I was wrong all this time about phone cords and jacks.  So that also means that the female jack on a modular phone is wired reversed of a wall female jack.  My head is spinning right now.  It was so much easier to think about in terms of each pin always being a certain color.

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

The link below is a site, one of many, that provides an all-in-one comparison of these modular plugs. One can click on any plug on the page to find out details for the connector including its normal uses. Prices shown are relative and can be found higher and lower at different sources.

http://www.gruber.com/rj-modular-plugs

A copy of the site main page is attached as a reference for new-to-phones members who may have questions about the different connectors and where they are used.

280Parka

Quote from: Babybearjs on April 16, 2018, 02:09:31 PM
reversal is always a problem for me.... I take a RJ-45 cord of 25 ft, cut it in half and spade the ends....when wiring it into my phone there are time where the T and R leads are backwards in the cable... (it might be just 1 pair, but that throws a wrench into the setup all the same) the same happens with the "Keystone" jacks.... there are time when the wiring labels come off the jacks and you have to rely on memory to wire them up.... (now, which side did the green pair go on???) when I run into this, its just a matter of switching the lead positions on the terminal block in the phone...., but then.... if its the wall jack.... then the problem continues if you move the phone to another location.....

Sorry if this is somewhat off-topic, I've been looking for a good source for "official" (or close) WE style spade ends.  Anyone know any good sources?

Key2871

Try sandman.com they have the crimp/ pierce type crimp ends.
KEN

HowardPgh

In making modular phone cords should the ridge on the cable be  oriented in the same direction on both plugs for each end?
The more I read, the more confused I get. I have some old TT phones that are polarity sensitive.  I'm sure I'll have to check that the L1/L2 are in the proper order also.  L1=Green, L2=Red , correct?
Howard

RB

Quote from: HowardPgh on April 02, 2019, 04:22:33 PM
In making modular phone cords should the ridge on the cable be  oriented in the same direction on both plugs for each end?
The more I read, the more confused I get. I have some old TT phones that are polarity sensitive.  I'm sure I'll have to check that the L1/L2 are in the proper order also.

I think that would constitute a straight through cord.???

L1=Green, L2=Red , correct?

YES

kleenax

The more I read, the more confused I get. I have some old TT phones that are polarity sensitive.  I'm sure I'll have to check that the L1/L2 are in the proper order also.  L1=Green, L2=Red , correct?
L1 is always RED.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

dsk

Quote from: kleenax on April 02, 2019, 10:37:26 PM
L1 is always RED.

Yes, but No!
Since modular telephone cords has the pinout they have it may be different if you plug in the opposite end in the jack, but it will be right again in the phone.

That is why this thread are here, it i so extremely confusing when you compare to a data cable with RJ45 where e.g. the blue is in the same pin no in each end.

dsk

HowardPgh

Quote from: kleenax on April 02, 2019, 10:37:26 PM
L1 is always RED.
Ray, somewhere along the line the color designation for L2 and L1 changed.  I stared at a bunch of diagrams and noticed that in 500 and 2500 style sets Gn=L1/Rd=L2. In older phones like the 300 style sets, it seems to be the opposite where Rd=L1/Gn=L2.  That's not confusing?
Howard

andre_janew

Polarity doesn't really matter when it comes rotary telephones.  When using the older Touch Tone phones like the WE 1500 or 2500 models, polarity does matter.  If the polarity is wrong you can't dial out.