"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Connecting an AE21 to 302 Base- Help!

Started by Kevin Lane, May 22, 2011, 11:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Lane

Folks,

I am trying to connect my AE Type 21 Candlestick to a WE 302 base after years of blindly using it improperly without a subset.  I didn't know any better then, but, thanks to you folks, I have learned a lot.

Here are some considerations:

1.  It has a WE 5H dial (been there since I got the phone in 1986.)
2.  I want it to be anti-sidetone

I have attempted to wire the phone itself according to a combination of two TCI diagrams (which I have attached.)  Also, I have used the 302 wiring diagrams available on this forum.

So, my questions are:

1.  What is the proper wiring for the four-conductor cord from the phone to the 302 base?
2.  What is the proper wiring from the 5H dial to the phone?

All help is greatly appreciated!

And thanks to Kenny C for the 302 base!

Kevin Lane

Wallphone

Kevin, Since your phone has a WE #5 dial in it I would not pay much attention to the two diagrams that you posted. There are two diagrams in the TCI Library that might help you out. The first one is for converting a 302 to a subset. < http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2155&Itemid=2 > The second one is of a WE 202 Anti-sidetone.  
< http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2141&Itemid=2 > Of course with your candlestick you will need to double up on the Red wire that goes to the handset and have one go to the transmitter and the other to the receiver. Also, make sure you look at some of the fine drawings that Bingster and others did on the 202 in the Technical Stuff section of this Forum.
Doug Pav

Kevin Lane

Wallphone,

Thanks for the advice.  I am currently finishing up at work, but I will give this a try tonight sometime.

One disadvantage I have is that I am massively colorblind, so old cloth cords that have faded colors on them present a real challenge. 

Kevin

Kevin Lane

Oh, and could someone post a link to the 202 technical drawings you mentioned?

Thanks!

Wallphone

You're Welcome Kevin, Here is the link -
< http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0 >
Ignore the wire colors if you can't see them and just physically trace them.
Doug Pav

Kevin Lane

Ok, thanks to the people who drew these great diagrams, I'm inching closer to getting this done.  But I have come to a problem:

The AE Type 21 candlestick hookswitch appears to be wired differently than WE phones.  Specifically, one of the cords coming from the transmitter is soldered to one of the hookswitch terminals, and this combined hookswitch/transmitter line is one of the five conductors at the end of the cord as it comes into the base.  This conforms to the AE21 diagram at TCI (which I attached in my first post of this thread.)

As advised by Doug, I have abandoned trying to wire the phone according to the AE21 Booster Circuit diagrams, and instead I am trying to conform to the Stephen Kerman and Bingster 202 diagrams.  But I don't know what to do with this transmitter/hookswitch line.  There doesn't appear to be a corresponding line on the 202 drawings.

AE released an anti-sidetone version of the 21, but TCI does not have a diagram for that.  It would help to see how the 21 wiring looked as an anti-sidetone phone, which I am trying to do here.

I have a feeling this is going to come down to trial and error.  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Wallphone

Kevin, You will have to unsolder the hook switch wire from the transmitter and put that wire where it belongs, and then you will have to solder the correct wire on to it which will either be the Grn. or Yel. wire from the coil or one of the two wires from the dial depending on how you have it wired. When converting from AE to WE you can't do it half way or it won't work. You have to make a commitment.
Doug Pav

Kevin Lane

Ugh, soldering.  I'm a butcher at it.

Well, I guess it's man up.

Adam

Soldering Rule #1: Heat the work, not the solder.

In other words, place the two objects to be soldered together, and heat them with the soldering iron, occasionally touching the solder to the item (not the soldering iron) to see if the item is hot enough yet.  When the item is hot enough, the solder will melt and flow to cover and penetrate the joint.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

Coincidentally, saw this Western Electric poster today.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Kevin Lane

Thanks for the soldering advice.  I am making slow progress on this project, as I am at the end of the school year with little time to spend in the workshop.  Plus, I have had company all week.

I have successfully unsoldered the transmitter wire that was soldered to one of the hookswitch terminals, so now it is just a matter of extending this wire into the base of the phone and doing the rest of the hooking up according to the diagrams.  I will report on testing when that takes place, hopefully soon.