News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoration WE205

Started by Doug Rose, December 31, 2009, 10:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Here is a Western Electric 205 I found on Craig's List in Febraury. It was in New Hampshire, about and hour from me. When I saw this, I felt it was a total loss. NOS numbers only dial plate, retainer ring with vintage dial card and cloth handset cord were added. Check out the before and after pictures. ....Kidphone

http://atcaonline.com/pictures/?id=238690226

http://atcaonline.com/pictures/?id=238690252
Kidphone

McHeath

Wow, great restoration!  It was a total loss before, you did a wonder on it. 

Dennis Markham

Doug, great job!  Can you tell us a little more about that phone, or that model of phone?  The grooved E1 handset, would that have been standard during the release of the phone?  Is that a #2 dial or #4?  You removed the paint to get the brass finish?  I'm assuming the finger wheel was painted brass?   What about the buttons, are those Bakelite?  Great phone!

Doug Rose

Dennis....this was made in the late 30s. A 205 an intercom/phone syetem for the home for the rich. The brass base that sits on top of the metal phone base with the bakelite buttons is the same base an A1 has. Three Telco Lines,  one hold and one Intercom button. Its a 4H dial with a solid brass fingerwheel and brass retainer ring. These were made for a short time and the phone system that ran it was as big as a modern refrigerator and was usually in a closet. I was told there are two versions of this phone, a 205 and a 208, pending the key set up. As you can see this was filthy and corroded. I stripped all the paint and used a steel brush on a drill to remove the corrosion. Brasso and steel wool for the finishing touch. Sometimes I amaze myself! I don't paint phones and was going to have it professionally restored. I honestly liked it just the way it was, so I left it. Marie Prewitt a fomer ATCA member made me a leather bottom (see below), she sells leather bottoms on eBay every now and then at ridiculously low prices. This is as I found it, except the retainer ring and dial card, numbers only plate and the handset cord and a lot of elbow grease. I wired it up to work on a single line. It really looks better in person than with the camera flash. The shiny metal and brass make a really nice combo. All of these I have seen came with a seamed E1. I was told these are as tough of a find as an A1. Check out Gary Goff's website, he has two working together with led indicators. His collection is utterly amazing....sorry again for the long winded reply....Kidphone

http://atcaonline.com/pictures/?id=240876584
Kidphone

Greg G.

What did you use on the handset to clean and polish? 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the info, Doug.  It's not long winded at all.  I find it interesting.  Again, a great job of making it look nice.  You brought it back from the dead.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Brinybay on December 31, 2009, 03:49:05 PM

Bakelite is so easy. Fine steel wool will take of a layer of dirt and age without scratching. After I give it a really good workout with steel wool, I coat it with Avon skin so soft. Bakelite is porous and absorbs the Skin so soft like your skin would. The next day I wipe off the excess and the bakelite just shines. And it sure smells better than steel-wooled bakelite, Use a mask.....Kidphone
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I normally spray dirty phones with foaming tile cleaner.  It effortlessly and instantly removes most of the dirt, nicotine, etc. and reaches the crevices as well.

Larry

Phonesrfun

Doug:

That is a great phone.  The Seattle museum has a working pbx using those phones.  A 750A with the 205 desksets:

http://www.museumofcommunications.org/needed.html

A couple years ago Gary Goff went to the Seattle regional phone show.  As part of the show, we went to the museum.  Gary was pretty interested in this display.  

Your restoration looks superb, and there are not that many 205's in captivity either.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Doug Rose

thanks Bill...I appreciate it....good to see you here....HNY.....Doug
Kidphone

ntophones

Dear Doug,
That is an amazing restoration and story. Thank you for the info. I have never heard of the steel wool and Skin So Soft!

Larry,
What type of foaming tile cleaner do you use? Do you use it on Bakelite and metal as well?
Thanks, I'm always interested in new ways!
--nto
--nto

LarryInMichigan

I use whatever I have at the moment.  Dow brand, or the whatever store brand I last bought.  I figured that, if it can easily remove dirt from the tile, bathtub, faucet, etc., it should be able to do so on phones.  I have used it on bakelite, plastic, non-painted metal, rubber, and vinyl.  It usually dissolves the grime in the hard-to-reach areas like the inside of finger stops and handset cap holes, pretty well.  I would be careful about using in on painted metal, thought I doubt that it would cause a problem.  Most of the foaming cleaners also disinfect, so I think that it is especially good for areas like the transmitter cap which is likely full of germs.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on December 31, 2009, 04:57:17 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on December 31, 2009, 03:49:05 PM

Bakelite is so easy. Fine steel wool will take of a layer of dirt and age without scratching. After I give it a really good workout with steel wool, I coat it with Avon skin so soft. Bakelite is porous and absorbs the Skin so soft like your skin would. The next day I wipe off the excess and the bakelite just shines. And it sure smells better than steel-wooled bakelite, Use a mask.....Kidphone

How fine of steel wool, #0000?  Would other hand lotions do?  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

I don't get that into what grade the steel wool is. Fine, medium, coarse. I use the fine and most times I pick it up at yard sales. Skin so soft is not a lotion, its more of an oil. A little goes a long way....Kidphone
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on January 01, 2010, 05:42:43 PM
I don't get that into what grade the steel wool is. Fine, medium, coarse. I use the fine and most times I pick it up at yard sales. Skin so soft is not a lotion, its more of an oil. A little goes a long way....Kidphone

#0000 is about as fine as you can get I think, it's what antique furniture restorers use.  I'll pick up some SSS next time I have a chance.  Thanks for the tips!
- Mike Row
e