News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Attack of the killer AE 40s

Started by HobieSport, September 12, 2009, 07:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Oh yipes! I'll have to remember that spider photo is on this thread when I'm browsing the forum late nights.  ;)

Brian, have you done much work on AE 40s? What do you think of them, say compared to the 302s? Not so much to stay on topic here as to get off the topic of giant scary spiders.  ;D

I guess the next step with all my AE 40s is just start hooking them up and see which ones work. Then send the dials to Steve Hilz for the refurbs, and order some cords and rubber feet, etc. from Old Phone Works.
-Matt

McHeath

bwanna

hobie, we will look forward to a "family portrait". ;)

brian, i would've yapped like a little girl, too :)
donna

AE_Collector

Hobie:

If you still have all these 40's you could use them to help out with my AE codes survey.

Anyone else who has an AE phone sitting around can help out as well. Just check the link below.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5514.msg67058#msg67058

Terry

GG

Re. those wolf spiders:  It occurs to me that wolf spiders are like movie monsters.  They're big and ominous-looking, and whenever they appear there's a flourish of theme music and frightened expressions, and people going "eeek!"  (Heck, I'd go "eeek!" myself!)  But if they bite it isn't much worse than a bee sting: wash, put a bandage on, and avoid scratching the itch for a couple of days.

The truly scary spiders (in North America) are black widows and brown recluses and hobo spiders, all of which are pretty easy to identify.  They're smaller and they move more slowly, so you can easily brush them away with minimal risk, and then vanquish them permanently with a shoe or a magazine.  If they had theme music it would be a violin section rather than horns, ending with a *thump* from a bass drum to accompany their demise. 

In any case, always disassemble new phones or radios or whatever, in open areas with good lighting and solid surfaces, so you can spot any little critters that happen to be hiding inside, and deal with them before they can become a problem.  If there are spiders or cockroaches or their eggs or anything like that, you can vacuum them out and empty the vacuum cleaner outside in the trash.  I've never had a "surprise" like that, but it's always reassuring to be aware and prepared. 

Bridie

Ewwwwwwww, just reading the stories about surprise residents inside old phones and radios.   :o Creepy!  Good to know, though, before I start opening up old phones.  I don't really mind spiders as long as they're not on me.  I don't see very many; my cats generally get to them before I see them.  The ones I do find, though, I put outside using the old tumbler and piece of paper trick.  I recall seeing a wolf spider while living in Ireland that seemed the size of a tarantula. The largest I've ever seen.
Bridget

Contempra

We don't know what we have Inside the phones or radios when they stored in a humid basement , shed or a garage in a long time.. in my old 53 500,   I had just a few cobwebs but without spiders, :D