News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1A Key---WE 400 series phones

Started by poplar1, June 30, 2014, 11:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Multi-line sets designed for 1A Key only (1938-1952?) have A, B, or C as the final letter in the set code (444EC for example).

Later sets (c. 1953-1954) with the final letter E or G (or a separate E/G stamp) can be used on 1A, 1A1 or 1A2 Key Systems (444EG for example or 444E with E/G marked above the 444E).

1st number 4=400 series telephone sets (401, 402, 410, 44x, 46x)
2nd number 4=4-button set; 6=6-button set (44x, 46x)
3rd number 0=non-illuminated key buttons; 4=illuminated key buttons (for example 440, 444)

1st letter: indicates the function of each key: for example A=PPPP E=HPPP
                                                                                        (where H=Holding and  P=Pickup)
2nd letter: A=manual (non-dial) B=5HA dial C=5HB dial
                E=manual G=dial (often a 6A dial)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following are designed for 1A Key only:

440AA manual   PPPP 561A Key  D10B Cord
440AB 5HA dial  PPPP 561A Key  D10B Cord
440AC 5HB dial  PPPP 561A Key D10B Cord
444AA manual   PPPP 561A Key  D16B Cord
444AC 5HB dial  PPPP 561A Key   D16B Cord

440EA manual   HPPP 561E Key  D14A Cord
440EB 5HA dial  HPPP 561E Key  D14A Cord
440EC 5HB dial  HPPP 561E Key  D14A Cord
444EA manual   HPPP  561E Key D18C Cord
444EC 5HB dial  HPPP 561E Key  D18C Cord

Section C53.152, Issue 5, 5-28-48

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Thanks for posting this; it's very helpful.

Ben

poplar1

The May 1955 Issue 7 of the same BSP (C53.152) includes the 400 series phones that can be used with 1A or 1A1. (They can also be used on 1A2). See Table C on page 11.

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/11625-c53-152-i7-may55-1a-1a1-kts-supplies

poplar1

This 1958 BSP combines the 1A sets and the 1A/1A1 sets in one table. Note: certain other models had been manufacture discontinued earlier, so a phone you find may not be on the list in Table A of this practice.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2805-502-435-100-i1-telephone-sets-440-460-tl

See pages 2 and 3 for Table A "complete list of sets."

Babybearjs

these are the phones I have in use. most of them are 444E/G's and work great! I do have a 440 that does have the lighted keys but is just for testing and for a emergency phone....(in the event my entire system is down except for 1 jack.... ) I have a 462 and a 445 (exclusion Key) and those are just in storage right now... I do have 3 464's and they are put away right now. one of them is decked out in Brass and is considered a "Executive" series phone, it has a matching 444 in both brass and chrome (2 sets).  these are the classic workhorses of the bell system... they match the 300 series phone and look great together.... Bold Black! I love it!   oh yeh, one of my 464's was painted robin egg blue, and I repainted it in a "Midnight" blue with a black handset and fingerwheel.... looks awesome! I call it my "Leathermans" special....
John

AE_Collector

Yes, great info Dave.

For anyone wondering what the difference is in the these types of key systems, here is my take on it and feel free to correct me and/or add more info.

1A key is very different from 1A1 and 1A2 key. 1A key has 4 leads per line from equipment to phone. They are Tip, Ring, Balance & Hold.

1A1 and 1A2 systems are compatible with each other but not compatible with 1A key. 1A1/1A2 have 6 leads per line from equipment to phone though 2 of the leads are grounds which means after the first line subsequent lines can work with only 4 leads if grounds are commoned at the right places. The leads are Tip, Ring, A, A1, Lamp Ground & Lamp.

The difference between the actual 1A1 and 1A2 key equipment is 1A1 is all relay and not very modular versus 1A2 uses printed circuit board construction. (Type 400 cards).

There are likely many other little option differences for example some 1A1 key equipment didn't come with the wink hold option. Held lines wouldn't flash when on hold.

Terry

Babybearjs

the other main difference is that the 1A system DOES NOT require a power supply for the hold circuit.... its powered through the phone line... I don't know about all the 1A series KTU's but the 1A and the 6B KTU's use the phone line to make them work.... and that's a plus when you don't have any power available....
John

Babybearjs

OK, since we are talking 1A systems... here's what I won tonight on Ebay.  No one wanted this, so I grabbed it...
John

tptech302

I was going to bid on it and forgot about it lol

Babybearjs

I already have 2 of these in storage. 1 has 2 1A units and the other has 2 6B units and a #11 unit in it... this is going to make a nice addition to the collection.... 2 black and 2 gray... nice!
John

Babybearjs

I got the KTU's today, it has 3 1A's an 8A and a 2A unit. I opened the covers and there were a bunch of screws loos, has to take the whole unit apart and clean it... and put all the screws back in.... everything has all the screws except the 8A, I have to get some more #6-32 screws and washers to go with it.... but all the regular ktu's have all there screws. I found the enclosed work order inside one of the cases. amazing how brittle paper gets after 50 years.... anyway, who of you did this work??? anyone know the clients location??? 
John

unbeldi

Looks like the customer still exists in Pottsville, PA in area code 570, which was split from 717 in 1998.

Babybearjs

this is where the 1A system I got today came from.....I think... at least we know now who had the equipment in service..... enclosed is the key sheet that was with it too. badly faded, can someone tell be what it all means...
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 21, 2014, 11:24:32 PM
this is where the 1A system I got today came from.....I think... at least we know now who had the equipment in service..... enclosed is the key sheet that was with it too. badly faded, can someone tell be what it all means...
Seems to indicate a different customer.  215 area code was just to the east at the time, but is only a small area around Philly now.
The is the key and line assignment plan for the apparently seven key telephone sets in the offices (OFC), three or four CO lines it appears.

poplar1

http://www.area-codes.com/

Phone number on the keysheet for Reading Foundry and Supply appears to be 622-5811.  622- is currently an NXX for Pottsville in NPA 570: You can enter an NXX and state here without entering an area code, since as unbeldi pointed out, they have split several times over the years.

http://www.area-codes.com/search.asp?frmNPA=&frmNXX=622&frmCity=&frmState=PA&frmZip=&frmCounty=&frmCompany=&search.x=28&search.y=8

Using the same site for Frank Gownley (DGN Realty) , NNX 874- is Frackville, PA in NPA 570. (717-874-2876 phone number shows the original area code was 717.)

http://www.area-codes.com/search.asp?frmNPA=&frmNXX=874&frmCity=&frmState=PA&frmZip=&frmCounty=&frmCompany=&search.x=35&search.y=7

Frank's line in Frackville was FXed (foreign exchange) to the Perfect Answering Service in Pottsville. The Central office names are PTTVPA (Pottsville) and FAVLPA (Frackville). At that time, answering bureaus had OPXs (off premise extensions) from each business they answered for.  At the answering bureau, this required a separate pair from the central office for each customer, unless concentrators were installed. Frackville probably did not have an answering bureau, so Frank had Perfect Answering Service in Pottsville cover his calls. To do  so, Pa. Bell had to extend his line from Frackville to Pottsville.

Another useful site:
http://puck.nether.net/npa-nxx/