Main Menu

Panasonic KX-T 1020E Easa-Phone, gets stable mate 1516BE

Started by gpo706, March 20, 2011, 10:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

= DARRIN =

gpo706

Gonna look real swanky on my desk.

£3.71 - 2 bids, beat the first bidder by 20 measly pence, (I bid up to £7 odds).

I was at work all day and they don't allow internet access or mobile phones or anything else like many workers have access to in the 21st Century, so was a nice surprise when I checked the bay when I got home.

So now I need to find 60 numbers to store on it, and a space on my meagre desk to display it on...

Thanks again to Owain for the tip-off.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Owain

Quote from: gpo706 on July 09, 2011, 05:30:21 PM
Gonna look real swanky on my desk.

£3.71 - 2 bids, beat the first bidder by 20 measly pence, (I bid up to £7 odds).

So now I need to find 60 numbers to store on it, and a space on my meagre desk to display it on...

Thanks again to Owain for the tip-off.

You're welcome.

I'm always glad to see someone bidding on these things so they go to a good home, even if it's not mine.

dominic

GPO706, I came across this post on a long search......when I saw it I truly knew the meaning of "gutted." I've had the Panasonic 1516BE for, I suppose, decades. The idea that you found a brand new one is wondrous to contemplate. I love the thing, but it's starting to do some truly weird stuff. And it is my daily-use answering machine. On the assumption that yours ain't going nowhere, can I simply ask the question: do you know anywhere ideally in the London area where I can get it looked at? As it's my first post, I'm sure somewhere there are lists of people who do these repairs, but I could really use your help.

Thanks in anticipation

dominic

gpo706

Hi Dominic, thanks for joining us, and welcome.

Not much help I'm afraid, have just managed to track down the endless loop OM cassette "Panasonic KX-C030" (from USA!) and ordered some "non metal or chrome tapes" as it says in the manual for the IM, to get it up and running.

My only suggestion would be an old-time hi-fi repair shop, or keep looking on the bay for another.

I can scan the manual for you, but I suppose you have that?

What years did they make these, I can't track down a date.

Regards,

Scot

dominic

Hi Scot, many thanks for the welcome and the quick reply.

I've never had to replace the endless loop cassette, as it happens. I've endlessly replaced the incoming message tape to no detriment, though it does recommend no more than a 60 minute. Still got the call-in bleeper. Still use it occasionally. Thanks for the tip about "non-metal or chrome." I don't have the manual and thanks for the offer but I don't really need it, it's so easy to use. My problems could be anything - motor, electronics...
As for a date, I don't know either. I must have had mine since the mid-eighties. As you say, I'll just have to track down an old-time repairers, but so far no luck.....but I'm not giving up...!

kind regards,

Dominic

dominic

....Actually gpo706, one thing occurs to me.....if there is a troubleshooting section of the manual that could prove useful to a repairer it would be great to see....I'll leave it to you.

thanks -

Dominic

Owain

If it hasn't been done for a while then cleaning and demagnetizing the tape heads would be due for being done.

dominic

Thanks Owain, yep I'll do that. It's really odd - sometimes I can't get the appropriate lights to come on that should be lit when you turn the machine on - until I literally shake the thing!

Owain

Quote from: dominic on July 10, 2011, 05:53:55 PM
Thanks Owain, yep I'll do that. It's really odd - sometimes I can't get the appropriate lights to come on that should be lit when you turn the machine on - until I literally shake the thing!

Maybe a dry solder joint or an exploded/corrosive condenser. Open up machine and examine under a strong light and magnifier.

gpo706

I will endeavour to hook up the old scanner and see if I can scan the whole manual, its only 16 pages, the troubleshooting section is only 2 pages.

dominic

Firstly, thanks again Owain for the advice. And gpo, it's very kind of you but please don't sweat it. I know what a pain scanning can be. Any page with any technical stuff on it would be great.

I've found a place North London who seem to be unfazed by the potential repair job. I'll go in a couple of days and report back!

cheers

Dominic

gpo706

It's not a pain with Ubuntu, just need to figure out where the scanner is!

Here it is!

dominic

You're very kind for doing that...many many thanks. The thing is in the shop......fingers crossed....

D.

gpo706

I hooked up the answering machine today.

It was dead.

I spent £10 on the special cassette for it all the way from the USA, put it in and the specified non-chrome answering cassette.

Tried the fuse, replaced it - nothing.

Need the instruction manual, it was still in the scanner from helping Dominic!

The manual says I need to to switch the VOLUME knob to "ON" and then it powers up...

...this is so embarrassing...

Playing about with it and it is indeed untouched and works perfectly!

Not sure about the remote, seems to output the same trill on any key.

PS the 60 key dialler didn't arrive, lost in the post, the seller had given one to to his mate and will attempt to retrieve it and send as a replacement, failing that he will credit my Paypal account.

REMEMBER - try the "ON" switch  ::)