News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early (1937) 302!!!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, December 04, 2015, 04:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I have finally won an early (most likely 1937) 302!!

While I was scouting EBay, I noticed that the ears on a 302 in an eBay listing looked shorter than usual. A close inspection revealed shorter ears, smaller plungers, a 1-bump-bottom, and riveted feet! It was in a lot of four phones at a $75 starting bid, and somehow only attracted one other bidder, who only drove the price up to $76, which is the price I won it at (plus $30 shipping)!!

Divided among all phones in the lot, I got each phone for $19 plus $7.50 shipping! A $26 '37 ain't bad! ;D

www.ebay.com/itm/252188490841
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

My guess would be that it was made late in 1937.  Old enough to have riveted feet, yet new enough to have an F-1 handset.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: andre_janew on December 04, 2015, 05:15:09 PM
My guess would be that it was made late in 1937.  Old enough to have riveted feet, yet new enough to have an F-1 handset.
It's probable that the handset is a replacement. There were a few 1937 handsets with the groove, but the fact that handset cord is a replacement tells me the handset is too.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Nice pickup.

If you need a replacement 1937 F1 handset I still have one available for sale.

Ben

wds

Nice find.  The paint on the 302 is really nice. 
Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: wds on December 04, 2015, 06:19:46 PM
Nice find.  The paint on the 302 is really nice. 
Thanks; this actually appears to be the nicest metal 302 I have, the paint looks incredible!
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Judging by the thinner looking fingerstop, it looks like the dial just might be a #4. Which would be considered harder to find; a 1937 #5 or 1937 #4?
Christian Petterson

Mr. Bones

Congratulations, Christian!

Welcome to the '37 Club! 8)

I spotted the early phone in that auction several days ago, but decided not to snipe. I'm delighted that it went to you. ;D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Mr. Bones on December 04, 2015, 09:38:22 PM
Congratulations, Christian!

Welcome to the '37 Club! 8)

I spotted the early phone in that auction several days ago, but decided not to snipe. I'm delighted that it went to you. ;D

Best regards!

Lucky Bones, I only spotted it yesterday! ::)
Christian Petterson

magicbrain

That other bidder was me - I was really only interested in the early 302, that was why I only bid $75.00 (and Christmas spending depleting of funds)
I was curious though about the other manual 302 - it appears to have a plastic housing with no mouse holes?
Bruce

Jim Stettler

Quote from: magicbrain on December 05, 2015, 02:26:06 PM
That other bidder was me - I was really only interested in the early 302, that was why I only bid $75.00 (and Christmas spending depleting of funds)
I was curious though about the other manual 302 - it appears to have a plastic housing with no mouse holes?

There were some 302 field trial sets with just 1 mousehole @ the back.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: magicbrain on December 05, 2015, 02:26:06 PM
Yeah, it sure looks like it doesn't have a h/s cord mousehole; I'd guess something is covering it up, like it almost looks like there's a strip of something over that whole edge.

Jim; I have an early housing without a side mousehole attached loosely to a '39 chassis and E1 handset. It will be displayed alongside this '37.

Picture for posterity:
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

At a second look, it almost looks like some electrical tape along the bottom edge forced the cord to come out of the bottom of the mousehole.
Christian Petterson

andre_janew

Could the tape be covering up some sort of damage to either the cord or the case?

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: andre_janew on December 06, 2015, 03:39:52 PM
Could the tape be covering up some sort of damage to either the cord or the case?
That was my thought. I guess we'll have to wait for the lot to arrive...
Christian Petterson