News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A couple of Siemens

Started by Buzby, December 14, 2015, 02:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzby

The postman brought me 2 new phones today. Each came from a different seller, but they're both Siemens Bros.

The deskset is a 355, and in pretty good condition, apart from minor chipping to the cradle fingers, damage to the drawer blank (no biggie) and missing its feet. Cost me $45 plus shipping. I'm surprised it survived the journey to my door as the packing was almost non existent.

The other is a 366, which looks like it's been living in a barn for the last 50 years. Sticky dial, rust, bird poop.........but it all seems to be there mechanically. The seller was looking for $150, but I got it for $80 plus shipping.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Buzby on December 14, 2015, 02:31:43 PM
The postman brought me 2 new phones today. Each came from a different seller, but they're both Siemens Bros.

The deskset is a 355, and in pretty good condition, apart from minor chipping to the cradle fingers, damage to the drawer blank (no biggie) and missing its feet. Cost me $45 plus shipping. I'm surprised it survived the journey to my door as the packing was almost non existent.

The other is a 366, which looks like it's been living in a barn for the last 50 years. Sticky dial, rust, bird poop.........but it all seems to be there mechanically. The seller was looking for $150, but I got it for $80 plus shipping.

Canadian (use) and not obviously configured for party line use - that's tending to the unusual. Perhaps they came from Manitoba.

Jack

Buzby

Thanks. Jack. I suspected that the may have been produced for the Canadian market.

I haven't had a chance to see if they function normally yet. I'll probably try the 355 tomorrow, once I get a lead for it. The 366 will have to wait until I've scared the bats and mice out of there.

LarryInMichigan

The British phones used in Canada have "MNO" over the '6' (if they have letters), while the ones used in the UK have "MN".  That is a quick and easy way to tell.

Larry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Buzby on December 14, 2015, 07:20:50 PM
The 366 will have to wait until I've scared the bats and mice out of there.

Just try the ringer first!

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 14, 2015, 08:44:13 PM
The British phones used in Canada have "MNO" over the '6' (if they have letters), while the ones used in the UK have "MN".  That is a quick and easy way to tell.

Larry

That is true but neither signed phones nor those handsets were used by the GPO. The wall phone was not used by the GPO at all.

Jack

Buzby

Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 14, 2015, 09:02:39 PM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 14, 2015, 08:44:13 PM

Larry

That is true but neither signed phones nor those handsets were used by the GPO. The wall phone was not used by the GPO at all.

Jack

I'm sure you are correct, Jack. These were part of my 'childhood memories' purchases.

The 335 was a 'whim' purchase, where a collision of memories made me want to buy. My gran had a 300 series telephone. She had the drawer, where she had stuck a list of telephone numbers of everyone she would call. The mouthpiece on the 355 I bought was on the phone that hung on the wall in my dad's building.

I'm sure that the 366 is the phone that was used. Not a GPO phone, but a private purchase by British Rail or one of the companies before nationalisation.

I'm excited to get it fired up and see if those bells are the 'urgent' ones I remember.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Buzby on December 14, 2015, 09:34:13 PM
I'm excited to get it fired up and see if those bells are the 'urgent' ones I remember.

I'm sure they are and I hope you enjoy them.

Jack

Buzby

Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 14, 2015, 10:03:34 PM
Quote from: Buzby on December 14, 2015, 09:34:13 PM

I'm sure they are and I hope you enjoy them.

Jack

I'm enjoying them right now, Jack.

The memories that are being released by these phones are immeasurable.