News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rare in the US= SUPER RARE in the UK = WE102!!

Started by JubileeCompact, November 16, 2013, 05:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JubileeCompact

Hey guys
Just won this beauty- I assume the subset is later but for what it cost I am not complaining lol.......
Seamus
http://tinyurl.com/k2a8m33
Seamus

G-Man

Quote from: JubileeCompact on November 16, 2013, 05:22:59 AM
Hey guys
Just won this beauty- I assume the subset is later but for what it cost I am not complaining lol.......
Seamus
http://tinyurl.com/k2a8m33

Really Nice Instrument, And The Price Is Too!!

Not that it really matters but the bell box was manufactured by Stromberg Carlson.

Sargeguy

They are not really rare, there are usually around half a cozen or so on eBay at any given time.  Still a good deal.  "Barn fresh" B-1/E-1s with dials usually go for around $150 USD, without the subset.  For fully restored ones in working order you can expect to add $100 or more.  

What type of dial is that?  It looks like it could be a #6.   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 17, 2013, 08:52:39 AM

What type of dial is that?  It looks like it could be a #6.   

Finger stop on #6 is much shorter.
Originally these were equipped with 2H dials with outside finger stop.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

david@london

i'd love one of these, or a 202.
great to find one in the uk.

interesting that the stromberg carlson bellbox has cut corners like some SC phones ........

Sargeguy

QuoteFinger stop on #6 is much shorter.

That's good.  I would swap out that 164A dial plate for one of the earlier plates.  Those plates came out about 20-25 years after the B-1s were put into service and it would be unlikely a B-1 would have one (though not impossible).  They were used on #6 dials but are backwards compatible with earlier dials.  Hopefully it's a #4 or early #5.  I use #2 or #2/#4 dials on B-1s when I can because you get the patent dates around the housing.  As poplar1 pointed out, that is how they were originally issued.  A #2 would cost around $75 but would add at least that much value to your investment.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 17, 2013, 12:32:35 PM
QuoteFinger stop on #6 is much shorter.

That's good.  I would swap out that 164A dial plate for one of the earlier plates.  Those plates came out about 20-25 years after the B-1s were put into service and it would be unlikely a B-1 would have one (though not impossible).  They were used on #6 dials but are backwards compatible with earlier dials.  Hopefully it's a #4 or early #5.  I use #2 or #2/#4 dials on B-1s when I can because you get the patent dates around the housing.  As poplar1 pointed out, that is how they were originally issued.  A #2 would cost around $75 but would add at least that much value to your investment.

If you do invest in a 2-Type dial, be sure it is a 2H and not the much more common 2A. The 2H was used on A-mountings and B-mountings and C-mountings. The 2A was used on desk stands (candlesticks), 553A wall sets, and pay phones.

On later 2-type dials, the patent dates were moved to the back of the dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.