"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich phone won on eBay

Started by andre_janew, March 14, 2015, 08:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

andre_janew

I have put a surface mount jack on the end of the line cord.  The cord restraint is different than what is used on typical WE phones.  It is probably more like what is used on typical AE phones.  Even so, I have managed to secure it to the jack.  At the other end of the jack I have a short line cord that is often used with modular wall phones.

unbeldi

I think that putting such a surface mount jack interface on cord ends is generally a good idea. It makes it easy to connect the device to modern modular wiring and it preserves the original cord endings in a reversible manner.

When it is necessary to repair the cord ends due to dried up and disintegrated rubber insulation, such repairs can be hidden in the box. This is illustrated in the picture attached.  This is a D3AK-4 cord which normally has very long leads, but in this case were too deteriorated and exposed the tinsel. One lead was already missing its spade terminal, and another had only intermittent conductivity.  It was best to just cut off the ends, move the cord strain relief about 3 inches and terminate.

But to be picky, you made one mistake in your construction.  You have to switch the polarity of your wires.  Green from the telephone goes to red on jack, and vice versa. Black goes to yellow, and vice versa. You have to remember that the modular jack presents an FXO interface in this application, and therefore all circuits must be reversed.  OTOH, for inside wiring, in the wall, red would indeed go to red, and  so forth.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on March 29, 2015, 02:26:12 PM
When it is necessary to repair the cord ends due to dried up and disintegrated rubber insulation, such repairs can be hidden in the box. This is illustrated in the picture attached.  This is a D3AK-4 cord which normally has very long leads, but in this case were too deteriorated and exposed the tinsel. One lead was already missing its spade terminal, and another had only intermittent conductivity.  It was best to just cut off the ends, move the cord strain relief about 3 inches and terminate.

Great idea, putting shrink tubing on those connections before adding new spade lugs on fragile wire to prevent handling issues in the future if they have to be removed and also, to reduce the possibility of getting a short in the surface mount jack.

andre_janew

My phone works just fine the way it is wired right now.  Rotary phones are not polarity sensitive like the TT phones are.  If I had an early 10 or 12 button TT phone that was hard wired, I might have to wire things like you said.  My dad always said, "If it works just fine the way it is, then leave it the hell alone."   That is what I am going to do.

andre_janew

Here is a picture of the dial card that came with the phone.  What was showing in the eBay photos was the back of this card.  I now have a different card in place of it.

andre_janew

What I'd really like to do is get a modular plug like the one in the following pictures to put on the end of the line cord.  I don't think I could do it because I don't think they make them anymore.

TelePlay

I use these. All that's needed is a mod to mod pigtail to make the connection to the wall. Actually, that connection can be as long as you like it since the adapter is on the end of the original phone cord.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/mt-103w/4-cond-modular-phone-jack-white/1.html

WesternElectricBen

That's a good deal on those jacks when they are new. Although, I have had good luck with buying those jacks in lots (used, or course) on eBaY for a good price.

Ben