and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mirror Shine On Bakelite

Started by rp2813, February 28, 2014, 02:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Arwin, Doug was only asking you to clarify a statement that you had made:

Re: Mirror Shine On Bakelite
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 06:21:07 PM » (Matilo Telephones)
So we are back to the start of this discussion, can such a shine be achieved by polishing alone? The answer is, mostly, no. Unless the bakelite is in excellent condition to begin with, or unless you help it shine with an additive like varnish, wax, oil, avon or whatever.

Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 10:40:21 PM » (Doug Rose)
How do you rejuvenate the "excellent bakelite?" How do you keep it from drying out? Just asking....Doug

Reply #25 on: Today at 01:55:56 AM » (Matilo Telephones)
The last 2 questions I do not understand. Why rejuvinate bakelite that has a factory fresh appearance? Bakelite does not dry out. It is a resin.

« Reply #27 on: Today at 06:48:42 AM » (Doug Rose)
Matilio Telephones.....This has become an inquistion. I feel like I am on trial.

Reply #30 on: Today at 03:16:16 PM » (Matilo Telephones)
Ehm, perhaps I am missing something here. Why are my questions suddenly taken as an inquisition? What is so bad about them? I do not understand this at all.

Please Doug, my questions are just that, questions. You present a method here unknown to me and make statements about it. I am trying to learn what you did and what effects it had.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

CRPF.....I only have the pictures that I posted. It has worked for me for 35 years and I think if you look at the two North phones, you see a remarkable difference. I do not attribute the difference to skin so soft, but removing the layer of grime/life with the steel wool and brasso. SSS to add moisture to the bakelite which is porous, I think we all can agree bakelite is wood based and porous?  Maybe!

I have no scientific proof that that skin so soft moistens the bakelite. It looks it to me. The bakelite looks shiny and stays shiny for long periods of time. Dry areas need more than one application. Is it soaking in? Talk amongst yourselves.

As years go by, I think bakelite dries out as you see a brown color on it. If you don't, so be it.

David....I have been touting this method I learned from an old collector at a Flea market on the ATCA, TCI and the Forum for many, many  years. Some love, some don't. I guess I see something that others do not. I posted  pictures of my collection. Bakelite phones looked shiny to me. I have too many phones to apply SSS every week, otherwise I would never leave the house.

Matilio Telephones...

"Do the fine steel wool and Brasso make it shinier than it was to begin with? Can you provide us with pictures of this and show us how you did that?

How does it make it less brittle? Does the Avon solidify? Once applied, is it bonded with bakelite in such a way that it is no longer possible to remove it?

How did you learn that the bakelite is less brittle?

The last 2 questions I do not understand. Why rejuvenate bakelite that has a factory fresh appearance? Bakelite does not dry out. It is a resin."

I find that confrontational. I am not a scientist. It just works for me as it was explained to me 35 years ago. Just trying to help! If you thinks its a sham, don't use it. Again...real simple

The nicest bakelite phones I have shows signs of dulling and browning as years go by. Maybe they are not excellent bakelite.

I have a manual 925 Kellogg ashtray phone coming, dull and looks to be a piece of sh*t. Check my posts. "I always say I love bakelite, it is soooo resiant!"  We shall see.

I will document clear and concise before and after pictures.

I am just trying to pass on knowledge that was passed on to me. To help other collectors

If anyone can look at the Maroon North Galion and tell me the process is a sham, so be it. Arrested for collecting while blind!

If you don't like it, don't do it. Really Simple?

WTH!

No good deed goes unpunished.

Really the last post by me on this ..Kid Exhausted
Kidphone

Gilas

Doug,

No clue about any of the scientific reasons for any of it however I have used your method for some time and I have noticed a big change in how much of a shine I get and not just when the SSS is on but long after.  Again no clue why and really doesn't matter to me I have found that the combination of Brasso, Steel Wool and SSS works for me at least.   

G-Man

Doug enjoys a very favorable reputation amongst his fellow collectors spanning the various clubs and listserves.
He has successfully restored an untold number of instruments that because of their condition, most collectors would have only salvaged for parts.
Thanks to Doug for sharing his process.
We all have our favorite restoration techniques and if you do not have confidence in his then you are certainly not bound to use them however please do not disparage those who show their generosity by questioning their integrity.
Of course we can only assume that such umbrage was not intended by any on this forum and apologies for such misunderstandings are gratefully accepted.

Matilo Telephones

Doug, I am (still) genuinely interested and curious about your method. That is why I ask these questions.  That is all. Perhaps there is something in it I can use.

I am really surprise and bewildered that you take it this way. And others seem to take it that way too.

If I thought it was I sham, why would I ask questions? What makes you think that I think it is a sham? Why would I think that?I just want to know how you did it and what the effects are. If you want to pass on that knowledge and help others, as you say, please do.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

dsk

This was really much new information :)
I should pass 50 before I heard about other steel wool qualities then the one used at our kitchen.
I got my finger into the steel wool (eBay) took some silver cleaner, and mused my wife's nail and hand cream. (Vaseline)
and here are some before and after pictures.

I guess I am a bit away from the glossy photos in this thread, but her it comes.

(And you have to guess what's before and after ;D )

dsk

PS The handset are only touched with the clothe to remove dust.
This makes the differences caused by the light more visible.
DS

Greg G.

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on March 01, 2014, 10:42:19 AM
Sure Doug, it looks fantastic. But using Avon (aha, first didn´t know what you meant, but you use skin cream) means we are looking at shining skin cream. If you take that off, what does it look like?

Don´t get me wrong. If you want to do it like that, I do not disagree nor do I agree. I just do it differently for reasons of my own.

It's this stuff:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e