News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 354 Questions Hope Dennis will look!

Started by sko1707, April 24, 2009, 05:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sko1707

I believe this is an old Western Electric 354 wall phone from 1951.  Have posted some not so good photos.  I read Dennis' article on the 354 he refurbished and have a question.  On mine, the red ringer wire is connected to Grnd.  The phone works and rings (great ring by the way with what appears to be steel bells!).  Since it had no line cord, I used an extra I had and connected green to L2, Red to L1 and yellow to Grnd to test.  Like I said, the phone rings, calls out and receives calls. Your renovation of a 354 suggests the red ringer wire should probably be connected to L1.  Can you explain why it works in the Grnd position?

Debating whether I want to keep this phone and disassemble and clean properly or sell as it is and let someone with more experience do it.  Are there special tools I will need to remove parts (especially the dial) and properly re-assemble?   It appears to be 100% original.  All the parts are marked 1951.  I have a photo of the back, but am limited to 6 photos with this post. There are no marks on it.  I don't think this has been repaired....maybe someone can tell???   I cleaned the thing as best I could without disassembling.  Still has what appears to be a cheesecloth like cover over the vents.  Most of the paint specks are gone thanks to soap and water and Novus 2.  I love this phone, except it stinks like a goose.....sort of a rancid smell :)

Sandy

Dan

Nice phone Sandy. It stinks because it is an old "soft plastic" phone and the smell is similar to parmasean cheese.  You will learn to actually "like " the smell because the older plastic phones are more valuable. Looks like a keeper to me.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

Luckily, the only tool you need to completely disassemble a phone is a screwdriver.  To remove the dial, all you need do is disconnect the wires (write down where each wire goes first), and then remove the three screws at the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.
= DARRIN =

sko1707

Quote from: bingster on April 24, 2009, 05:57:35 PM
Luckily, the only tool you need to completely disassemble a phone is a screwdriver.  To remove the dial, all you need do is disconnect the wires (write down where each wire goes first), and then remove the three screws at the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.

Thanks Dan and bingster!  I think I can handle a screwdriver! LOL!  Will probably use photos of the original wiring to make sure I get it right on reassemble.  I really would like to put this on the wall in my kitchen. It's lighter than the newer 1960's phones and works with DSL!   My house is 100 years old and I should be able to hook the phone to the wall wires without resorting to modular.   Any input on the wiring question?   This  354 was in it's original box when I got it for a buck at a late night auction.  BTW: Am going to an auction tomorrow of an antique store owner.  There are suppose to be old phones there, so maybe, I will find a gem :) Just so you know, the phones I sell on my website or on eBay, are not priced high.  If I pay a buck, I don't ask for $100.  I need to make some money, but I mainly just love the old phones and really want to learn as much as I can so I can put them in the hands of people who will love them as much as I do :)  Thanks again!

McHeath

I have a 354 in the kitchen, it's a great phone and we really enjoy using it.  (it's also a 1951 make)  That funny smell is pretty weird at first, but after a while you start to get fond of it.  This phone sure looks like a keeper to me as well.

Steve

Looks like a nice phone to me. is that a deco ashstand I see in the first pic?

whats your website?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

sko1707

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2009, 07:11:12 PM

Looks like a nice phone to me. is that a deco ashstand I see in the first pic?

whats your website?

That is a deco style cigarette stand that belonged to my Dad.  Has a ram handle.   Mom and Dad had a lot of 1930's vintage items that I inherited.   My website: http://www.minnesotas-highway.com/

Don't have a lot listed right now, but will be adding more later.  Also sell on eBay: sko74517 and SeeAuction: http://www.seeauctions.com/shops/mnhwy169/ .   I never have enough time for listings.....more interested in phones :)

Sandy

Sargeguy

If it is working properly, I wouldn't do anything to the wiring,  just polish the exterior parts and lubricate the dial.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

sko1707

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 30, 2009, 07:39:12 PM
If it is working properly, I wouldn't do anything to the wiring,  just polish the exterior parts and lubricate the dial.

Thanks for the input Sarge....I appreciate it :)

Sandy

Dennis Markham

Sandy, I'm sorry I didn't put any input into this posting.  I remember reading it when you first posted it and then I had a computer crash.  I spent all weekend trying to copy my files (from the Safe mode) to an external hard drive, formatting my hard drive and reinstalling my files.  I just got things up and running.  I completely forgot about your posting until I just read Sargeguy's posting.

I don't have the wiring for the 354's contained to memory and refer to my wiring diagram when I work on one.  I'm sure there is more than one way to skin a cat but the wiring diagram that I refer to I believe I got from the TCI technical page.

As Sargeguy said, if it's working OK the way it is then life is good.  I can take a closer look at your wiring and see if I see anything jump out at me. 

I believe you sent me a message to thru my web site too.  I lost about 80 e-mails that came to me between 4-24-09 and 4-28-09.

sko1707

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 30, 2009, 11:04:11 PM
Sandy, I'm sorry I didn't put any input into this posting.  I remember reading it when you first posted it and then I had a computer crash.  I spent all weekend trying to copy my files (from the Safe mode) to an external hard drive, formatting my hard drive and reinstalling my files.  I just got things up and running.  I completely forgot about your posting until I just read Sargeguy's posting.

I don't have the wiring for the 354's contained to memory and refer to my wiring diagram when I work on one.  I'm sure there is more than one way to skin a cat but the wiring diagram that I refer to I believe I got from the TCI technical page.

As Sargeguy said, if it's working OK the way it is then life is good.  I can take a closer look at your wiring and see if I see anything jump out at me. 

I believe you sent me a message to thru my web site too.  I lost about 80 e-mails that came to me between 4-24-09 and 4-28-09.

Hi Dennis :)  Yes....I did send a message through your site.  Sorry you had the problems with your computer.  Computers can be a real pain at times.  I suspect the phone is fine as is, but I did post some images.  If you see anything "out of sorts", let me know.  Thanks for responding!

HobieSport

Quote from: sko1707
I never have enough time for listings.....more interested in phones :)
Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Just chiming in to say hello, and that I find the 354s just about the easiest classic phone to work on, and I think they look great too. 

Because of your interest in classic phones, and now that you have a little experience and confidence in working on one, I'm just wondering if you might enjoy acquiring a few more to fix up and sell at your store.  It might be a good mix of business and pleasure.  That is basically what I want to do; collect a few,  fix them up, keep a few and sell a few.

I got a good laugh when you first described the smell of the soft plastic as that of an old rancid goose.  I have heard the usual descriptions of parmesan cheese, old gym socks, and stale fritos, but old rancid goose is definitely a winner in the colorful language department.  I can just imagine it in an Ebay description:  "Beautifully restored classic rotary telephone in perfect working order.  All matching dates.  No chips or cracks.  Inside is guaranteed to smell like genuinne old rancid goose or your money back."

Cheers,  -Matt