News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 63 - 1936 WE 302 (H1/E1)

Started by Dan, February 25, 2011, 12:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I for some reason thought the first year of the 302 was 1937, but here is a beautiful 1936, expertly restored. This auction lasts NINE days and I think will be fun to watch. Please feel free to post a picture of it if you wish, as I will post the link.

http://tinyurl.com/62kr9v5

I'll start out with a guess of $243.79.

S C O R E B O A R D

$243.79 - Dan
$400.00 - Ruskirk
$350.01 - Harry Smith
$364.00 - Tom B
$450.55 - Kennyc1955
$455.00 - Paul-F
$510.00 - bingster
$688.88 - Craig T  (Winner)
Sold for $788.00
$1175.75 - Kidphone
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Here are a few more pictures. And for future reference for those that can't instantly ID the work, this is a "mcmurdosilver" ebaY Auction.

Terry

Phonesrfun

I dunno about a God, per se, but McMurdo Silver is a very meticulous restorer, and always gets very high Dollars for his work.  I have been following his work, now, for a few years, and I really admire his attention to detail.  Much like our own Finlover. 

-Bill G

Dan

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 25, 2011, 01:31:04 AM
I dunno about a God, per se, but McMurdo Silver is a very meticulous restorer, and always gets very high Dollars for his work.  I have been following his work, now, for a few years, and I really admire his attention to detail.  Much like our own Finlover. 

Thats for responding about my inquiry about this seller, which somehow got deleted. This is a beautiful phone!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

GG

If the 302 was officially introduced in '37, does anyone here know about an early field trial at an earlier date, as occurred with the 500?  Seems to me we might be looking at something equivalent to a 500 set from 1948, in which case the price could go well over $2,000 if the major components are matched.

And yes, from the photos, McMurdo Silver's work is out-of-this-world excellent.  I'd be interested to know if he had that housing powder-coated or how that paint was done, because I have an AE candlestick and a WE oval-base 202 that could use that treatment. 

Doug Rose

I was under the impression that the Very First 302s were fourth quarter 1936 as this guy is. Paul F would be the definitive expert on this....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

The 300-series was announced formally in 1937 per AT&T Events in Telecommunications and other sources.

As with most products, production actually started some months before announcement to fill the pipeline so product would be available at announcement.  Also some of the early production was typically installed in controlled situations as a "final exam" to make sure they got it right.

Some pre-production field trial sets dated as late as I 36 have been reported.
  http://www.paul-f.com/weproto.html#302proto
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RDP

I agree that it's a nice restoration but, the E-1 handset looks out of place on it and looks as if it's prone to scratching the side of the case. Not a phone I would want to use. Definitely a different look for a 302.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: RDP on February 26, 2011, 09:50:27 AM
I agree that it's a nice restoration but, the E-1 handset looks out of place on it and looks as if it's prone to scratching the side of the case. Not a phone I would want to use. Definitely a different look for a 302.

RDP:

The earliest 302's did have E1 handsets, so while it looks out of place, it is actually correct.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Yes, the E1 was on the early 302's but I agree, it does not look right. I will be putting a F on my 1937 when I get around to it!
A lot of people say he goes too far with his phones, that they are no longer appliances but works of art when he gets done. That may be but they sure sell well! I have asked about his bakelite polishing process but have not gotten a direct answer, just refers me to his page for the description of his general restoration process.
On this auction I will guess $350.01
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 26, 2011, 02:20:25 PM
Yes, the E1 was on the early 302's but I agree, it does not look right. I will be putting a F on my 1937 when I get around to it!
A lot of people say he goes too far with his phones, that they are no longer appliances but works of art when he gets done. That may be but they sure sell well! I have asked about his bakelite polishing process but have not gotten a direct answer, just refers me to his page for the description of his general restoration process.
On this auction I will guess $350.01

I think has bakelite polishing process will be like the colonel's secret 11 herbs and spices--a SECRET!

Jim Stettler

Here is  a link for Hal Beldon's page about early 302's. (1936, early 1937, late 1937 and 1938)
.  I have seen and handled a 1936 F handset.
http://vintagephone.com/HB302.htm

You can always find this link thru Paul F.'s 302 page.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.