"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first AE 40!

Started by WesternElectricBen, July 03, 2013, 11:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello,

I received this very cool telephone from a old telephone collector (and by old, I mean old) who wants to thin out his collection. Its a cool looking phone and I cant wait to restore it and compare the before and after picture. I havn't been able to open it up yet nor confirm it is a AE40.

Though if you look at the transmitter and receiver elements they look too new. Another problem is it seems I can't get the transmitter back in its "hooks," should I just bend the "hooks" back?

Its going to need some parts, I don't think any of the cords will stay, I think AE cloth braided cords are correct, right? I don't know but it might need a cap or a bell adjustment.

Make sure to check out the pictures!

Thanks,
Ben

AE_Collector

Welcome to the club Ben!

No need to open it up to verify...It's an AE 40!

Yes the transmitter is held tightly in the metal gizmo that forms one of the electrical contacts. You will notice that one is bent in slightly from the edge of the recess in the handset. You can push the capsule against that one and it will give enough so that you can then slip it down into the other on the other side.

The capsules are correct. The AE 40 was introduced about 1939 or so.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Thanks Terry for the information. Thats how I tried to get it back in, probably just didn't want to break it so didn't push hard enough.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Op, just got it back on!

Babybearjs

ben, i got one of those, and the AE 50 to go with it! (wall phone) just be sure to not mix this phone with Western Electric phones if you use it, it causes the phones to get what is called "Ring Tap" it when you dial out and the bells try to ring when the fingerwheel is released.  the capacitors between the 2 makes are of different values, and thats what causes the bells to "tap"...
John

WesternElectricBen

Oh weird, once I had a 500 set and a PTT and when I dialed the PTT the 500 rang a bit...

LarryInMichigan

Dialing a phone causes the voltage on the line to fluctuate, and the voltage fluctuations are picked up by the ringer coils just like ringing voltage, only lower.  That is why many ringers have bias springs which keep the clappers from moving too much for small voltage fluctuations.  Reversing the polarity can reduce the effect, and most bias springs are adjustable.

Larry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 04, 2013, 10:32:08 AM
Dialing a phone causes the voltage on the line to fluctuate, and the voltage fluctuations are picked up by the ringer coils just like ringing voltage, only lower.  That is why many ringers have bias springs which keep the clappers from moving too much for small voltage fluctuations.  Reversing the polarity can reduce the effect, and most bias springs are adjustable.

Larry

Oh, ok thank you for the information Larry.

DavePEI

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 04, 2013, 12:23:19 AM
ben, i got one of those, and the AE 50 to go with it! (wall phone) just be sure to not mix this phone with Western Electric phones if you use it, it causes the phones to get what is called "Ring Tap"
Yes, Western Electric phones are no good. They don't mix well with others   ;)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE40FAN

Congrats Ben!  Looks to be in great condition as well and it also has the numbers only rural dial!

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE40FAN on July 04, 2013, 01:45:18 PM
Congrats Ben!  Looks to be in great condition as well and it also has the numbers only rural dial!

Uh, thats what its called the rural dial, I was trying to explain it to my mother. I hope to get a few more of these and I can't wait to see what it will be like when I'm done with it.

Ben

tptech302

Looks like a nice phone Ben. I have 3 of these all original (except line cords) all with rural dials, mine all came out of PAX "Intercom systems" the all have the PAX dial centers cards. I really like the design of these nice art deco style, and are solid phones.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: tptech302 on July 05, 2013, 12:55:06 AM
Looks like a nice phone Ben. I have 3 of these all original (except line cords) all with rural dials, mine all came out of PAX "Intercom systems" the all have the PAX dial centers cards. I really like the design of these nice art deco style, and are solid phones.

I really like the Art Deco design. My aunt just loves them..

Ben