"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leviton Wiring Distribution Block & Punch Down Tools

Started by princessphone, February 06, 2015, 10:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

princessphone

Hi there,
Some time ago installed a Liviton expansion board with them "push down clips". Great invention, and I'm getting pretty good at using the push down tool that came with the board.
Now I'm trying to install a couple of mounting wall plates for a couple of Trimline Wall Phones. These steel plates have the push down clips, however the tool can't reach the clips properly. I've tried using a small screwdriver with limited success. I don't want to damage the clips. Is there a special punch down tool to reach these tight spots? Anyone have any advise?
John   

G-Man

Without seeing photos of either the "expansion board" or the wallplates, presumably you are referring to a "66"-type block manufactured by LEVITRON and a 630-type plate for a wallphone.  While there are variations, most likely they both use different idc terminals and you will need a another bit for your punch-down tool to terminate wires on the 630-type wallplates, though in some cases, a disposable plastic tool is included with it to make the proper terminations.

Phonesrfun

I agree with Gman.  Photos would be helpful, because I cannot visualize the situation you describe. 
-Bill G

princessphone

Thanks G-Man and Bill,
I'm still struggling with pictures, but here's a picture of the expansion board (I don't think it will help).   The wall plate is WE and has the same style of connectors that break the insulation, however these clips are not fastened at right angles to the plate, the are parallel and the push down tool can't reach in to push the wire down.
John

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

Depending on the manufacturer, wall-plates for wall-mounted modular telephones can be terminated with-
630 idc terminals (original)
110 idc terminal
Screw terminals

princessphone

Thanks poplar1, G-Man and Phonesrfun,
That's exactly what I need. I'm such a clutch when it comes to expressing myself. Looking back I should have posted this in the Tool Section.
Best regards and Good night, John

G-Man

Quote from: princessphone on February 06, 2015, 11:46:46 PM
Thanks G-Man and Bill,
I'm still struggling with pictures, but here's a picture of the expansion board (I don't think it will help).   The wall plate is WE and has the same style of connectors that break the insulation, however these clips are not fastened at right angles to the plate, the are parallel and the push down tool can't reach in to push the wire down.
John

princessphone-

While I personally would have terminated your wiring in a different manner, that notwithstanding, I do want to congratulate you for terminating yours in an orderly and well documented fashion!

princessphone

Hi G-Man,
Thanks for compliment. I always welcome ways to improve and tidy things up and keep it simple.
My challenges were:
I use Bell for internet and wanted to use only 1 filter instead of 1 at every phone (about 14 or so).
Wire all stations to have aux. power from single source to accommodate the lights in the Princess phones instead of having a small transfomer at each station. This required all home-runs for each station otherwise the lights dim.
Had to work with single cable that ran upstairs to feed 4 rooms. Cruella wouldn't let me break into the walls and I didn't want to run wires on outside of house.
I'm still working on ways to improve things. I'm also working on implementing the signaling function that a couple of my princesses have (like buzzing Cruella when I need something - stat).
If you can give me some ideas or recommendations they would be much welcomed.
Please check out my "CO" and workplace in the Off Topic  "Show us your workbench" section.
Also, when I got into this hobby, I received some great advise from some of our members. They basically recommended that when rewiring ( and we all probably will sooner or later) to follow a few rules. Planning, Documenting and use good wire such as 22AWG.
There are probably a few more such as using the forum and asking a lot of questions. Is there a way to get this to new (novice) members. Just a thought.
John   

princessphone

Still trying to tidy up the wiring in my CO (basement/workshop). What is the difference between 630 idc and 110 idc.
I'm using a Leviton 1x9 Bridged Telephone Module (expansion board), Part # RO2-47689-B. It has 10 sets of 110 idc.
The way I've got it hooked up, it gives me phone service and 8v power to 16 stations (phones).
The phone cable I'm using is all solid copper and 22AWG.
I want to install a couple of vintage Trimline wall units to compliment my Princess phones. The metal wall mounting plates are vintage? WE with Bell logo, NOS stamped 630A.
Are the clips different between the 110idc and the 630idc? Is that the reason they use different punchdown tools (blades)? I know what IDC stands for but what do 630 and 110 signify?
Are there punchdown tools available that come with a variety of blades including the 110, 630 AND the 630 angled at a quarter turn?
Any comments will be welcomed, John
PS Wish the snow would melt so that I can get out of the house.         

G-Man

Since you have both the 630 and 110 terminals in front of you for direct comparison, I am not sure what more we can add that would be meaningful in describing them.

If you want precise engineering dimensions or information as to their development, etc., then perhaps a search through the TCI Library may prove to be fruitful where  you may be able to find more concise details in the Bell Labs Journal or in one of the "A History of Engineering and Science in the Bell System" series.

princessphone