Free Dial testing software available

Started by dsk, November 28, 2018, 12:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobv

yea, when I have time I am going to try

Bob S

English translation done with photo shop

dsk

I have now learned that these adapters may not work well on a newer PC. My luck was to have an old one, the first one not running on steam :-)

dsk

HarrySmith

I think I have Windows 95 somewhere. IIRC it is on about a dozen Floppy discs!  ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dsk

I bought this one: https://goo.gl/3McaE9

UGREEN 3FT USB to RS232 Serial DB9 9 Pin Converter Adapter Cable With Chipset

Not the cheapest on eBay, but it looks well made, and it works om my WIN 8 computer.  Tried the driver on the old adapter who works on win 7 but that did not help.

The software is free, the adaptor are not to expensive.

dsk

dsk

Te software is still available... but for how long?
I do not know how to share an exe file.  http://www.personalberater-kellner.de/PDFStellenangebote/

Edit: Now it is attached as a zip-file.
Thank you for the help doing that.

dsk

dsk

@segaloco
Maybe you or any other software expert are able to re-design this software to accept microphone input signals?
This is the most easy testing of rotary dials I have found.  The analyzing by using soundcloud, reading and translate the output to numbers are more accurate, but more of a job.

Thank you to all that are willing to use time on this!

In order to update or improve the software the original author would need to share the original source code.
Or probably just re-write it making it more portable

dsk

Quote from: 5415551212 on February 28, 2024, 11:48:22 AMIn order to update or improve the software the original author would need to share the original source code.
Or probably just re-write it making it more portable
I have to guess, but this seems to be pretty old so the original writer are probably not easy to get in touch with.

countryman

There is an email address given in the program (menu: Help COM and program). Have you tried this?
I suppose the author of the program is "Felix52" in the German forum:
https://www.wasser.de/telefon-alt/forum/index.pl?job=thema&tnr=100000000009020&seite=1&begriff=nummernschalter%20software&tin=&kategorie=
He has been active on that forum not too long ago. No email available there, but you might add an entry (English would be fine).

countryman

Quote from: dsk on February 28, 2024, 07:28:49 AMMaybe you or any other software expert are able to re-design this software to accept microphone input signals?

May I ask what you are aiming at?

dsk

This great software are the most exact easy to use and free software to determine make-break ratio, and dial speed.
You need a serial port to the computer and that is no standard anymore so if someone with great programming skills could modify or make something similar for a modern PC or even a cellphone it would be a great tool.
The only drawback not mentioned is that a ringer with capacitor in the circuit may give wrong make-break measurements.

Using Audacity, reading out time stamps on each start and end of the pulses (measured via microphone input) and then calculate everything in excel gives a good reading, but it takes time, and more skills to do it right.

Audacity was the only way to test the strange dials from Oslo's first W.E. exchange that had shorter pulses, except for the last one that was extremely long.  Great honour to Felix that made the software and shared it many ears ago :-)