News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Waltham 8-Day clock marked New England Telephone and Telegraph Co.

Started by Sargeguy, May 22, 2017, 03:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I just purchased this off of eBay for $150. I have an opening for one of these for a while and they have either been nonfunctional or too expensive. This one is in working condition And seems to be keeping pretty good time.  One thing that makes this one especially cool is that it comes with the mounting bracket that the watch itself locks into.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

If you get the serial number on the watch movement you can look up the year of manufacture.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I'm pretty sure it is mid-20s.  I'll find out when I take it in for service.  Not only is it cracked but the plastic crystal needs to be replaced. It is releasing corrosive gases as it degrades. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 23, 2017, 12:52:06 AM
...releasing corrosive gases as I degrade.

I'm told I do the same thing.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

:o

Does anyone know when the Bell System started using KS-XXXX code #s?  I found this other example on eBay from 1926 with a KS code on the back of the case.  The dial is not marked but it must be Bell System issue. Mine has the same code #.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332228605678?

I suppose they could have added the codes at any time during the life of the clock, and just because the clock was made in 1926 does not mean it was issued then.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232344617081?

This one also has the KS-6422 code. This style must be exclusive to the Bell System.  Note the seconds register divided by 10.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Greg, I have two of these One is in metal mount like yours and has a lock on the side. Does yours
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Yes, mine has a lock cam but the end that hits the spring is missing.  Are either of yours NET&T?  It seems from a search on the web that Waltham 8-day clocks of this pattern all have the KS code on the back, and this is likely a pattern specific to the Bell System.  Splitting the seconds register into 10ths is also a telco thing to do.  I have seen conflicting stories about whether this was a phone truck clock or an operator's clock.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Both are KS marked. One with the NET&T marked dial, the other not marked NET&T.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana