News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anybody see this??? -> WECo 565HK in Gray

Started by LM Ericsson, March 29, 2012, 08:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

Anybody see this nice gray mulitline on Ebay??? Boy, I wish I had one... http://tinyurl.com/7mentbx For future reference:
Regards,
-Grayson

Dennis Markham

You can have one.  Just bid more than anyone else. :)

LM Ericsson

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 29, 2012, 09:50:59 PM
You can have one.  Just bid more than anyone else. :)
I know, im just glad to even have a multiline phone!!!
Regards,
-Grayson

canuckphoneguy

I noticed this phone too. I thought about bidding on it, but would have no idea how to hook it up with that weird connection.

sebbel

You could easily make an adapter to converter that plug into individual line.

I'm personally happy because now I know what to look for. My multi-line had no cable. I think those cable were fairly common until the 90s when the remaining Bayan Vine and token ring network headed for the dump in favour of Ethernet. IIRC the same cables were used as uplink between network switches.
Seb.

TelePlay

Quote from: sebbel on April 05, 2012, 06:07:39 AM
You could easily make an adapter to converter that plug into individual line.

Have you done this? Can you provide the wiring diagram you used? I got a 565 with the cable cut off and I could not get the phone to work without removing all of the 565 wiring and rewiring the hook switch and network before it would ring on one line and one button, not lit, of course. I have several with 25 pair cords and would like to get them to work on a POTS line so would like to know how you did it.

Thanks.

sebbel

I haven't done it specifically for that but for other similar plug and harness. "Easy" is also a

I will definitely attempt it as soon as I put my hand on a cord. First thing is to get the opposite female/male end of that plug.

If you have a plug handy can you send me pictures of the plug. Also of the inside if you are able to remove the cover. There may be some internal rewiring involved to so if you can send me picture of the inside to. I would love to try that.
Seb.

Doug Rose

Amp Caps are what you need. Back about 30 years ago when converting 1A2 25 pair cable to Key Systems using  2 to 3 pair keysets, these were gold. They came in male or female ....Doug
Kidphone

Jester

They also made one that terminated in a single RJ11 socket.  I don't have picture, but I've seen several.
Stephen

TelePlay

Quote from: sebbel on April 05, 2012, 11:02:16 AMIf you have a plug handy can you send me pictures of the plug. Also of the inside if you are able to remove the cover. There may be some internal rewiring involved to so if you can send me picture of the inside to. I would love to try that.

I must have had a "special" phone in that I got the wiring diagrams, located the wires for each line at the point where the 25 pair cable was cut, hooked them up to a POTS simulator and nothing happened. Got my ring generator out and could make the bell ring but only if contact was made with two terminals inside the phone to which the ringer was attached (the ringer worked trial). I spent a week (a few hours a night) doing continuity checks against the 565 wiring diagrams and came to a conclusion that the phone would not work without being connected to a 1A2 system. It seemed the phone needed to send a signal back to the 1A2 controller which would then send the appropriate signals back to the phone. I know nothing about a 1A2 but could tell the only way I could get this 565 to ring as a one line phone was to remove all of the wiring and re-wire it as a standard 500 and connect the hook switch terminals to a 500 configuration.

And then the lamp would not work (1 cycle per second for ringing in, solid for off hook and fast flash for on hold because that 10 VAC circuit had to be provided by part of the 1A2 system based on what was being sent back to the 1A2 by the phone over a variety of the 25 pair wires). While all of this may seem juvenile to 1A2 experts, that's what it is for me for I knew nothing about a 565 or 1A2 until I got the circuit diagrams for the phone and saw all of the feedbacks to the 1A2. In the end, I got the phone to work, including the light, on line 1 but it will never be re-wired as a 565 (no loss since the 25 pair cable was cut off - maybe that's why, it may have been a special circuit).

Here are pictures of the guts before I removed the pig tail harness. Until I try to hook up one of my other 3 which have the full cable attached, I won't know if this phone was special or it is not as simple as it would seem to turn a 565 into a single line phone. Those caps look like it would be a simple conversion. That was not the case with my 565, the one pictured below.

BTW, I made a 10VAC 525 controlled switch box to drive the lamp (this was used on stage during a play so the lamp was switched from the tech booth to match the phone use) and used the black and yellow wires of a silver satin line cord to carry the 10VAC power to the phone along with the standard POTS signal on red and greed. Stage craft is all smoke and mirrors so while not working according to BSP usage, it worked well for the 3 weeks it was used on stage.

If you see anything in the photos that may say why hooking the two wires for line 1, or 2, or 3 etc. didn't work, I'd be interested your comments.

AE_Collector

Teleplay: That key set has enough length left on the cord to put an Amphenol plug on the end and then you could connect a longer male to female Amphenol extension cable to make it long enough to use. Might not look right but would be an easy way to get it going.

MOST Key Sets have Male Amphenol Plugs on the end so you need a cable with a Female connector on the end to plug onto the set cord. Sounds as though I need to go into business making adapters as I have lots of short lengths of 25 pair cable with Female Amphenol plugs on the end.

Line 1 is the white/blue pair of the 25 pair cable and is the first pair on one end or the other of the plug. You will get dial tone but no lights or hold function unless you start experimenting with 1A1 or 1A2 KSU equipment. You can put the ringer (on phones that have ringers) across the line 1 inside the phone so that it will ring.

Terry

AE_Collector

$332 final price on the WECo Gray 565! Lots of interest in it including at least two forum members.

Terry

Babybearjs

I was watching the auction on a WE 565 in grey of all colors on ebay and fell off my seat when I saw the final bid- $332.00! are they crazy? who would want to pour that much money into a phone? working or not... thats the highest price I've seen for one of those before. as I've stated before, my high bid is no higher then $50.00. when you pay that kind of price for something, you'd better be able to get your money back out of it if you ever sell it.... so, which one of you guys bought this phone....?
John

AE_Collector

John:

I merged your "Are they Crazy" topic into here. May as well keep the discussion all in the same place if possible.

The buyer has very deep pockets for phones and frequently competes with others in the same category for telephone items. I don't think he is on this forum.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: Jester on April 05, 2012, 01:58:51 PM
They also made one that terminated in a single RJ11 socket.  I don't have picture, but I've seen several.

A large variety of AMP to modular converters at this site. You have to scroll down to find the Hubble equivalents.

http://tinyurl.com/64zamtn