News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What did I just buy? Western Electric 20-A

Started by Sargeguy, August 27, 2014, 04:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Awesome find.  I was a little confused about where the receiver cord went.  It looks as if it comes through the center of the perch and the transmitter cord goes through the hole in the skirt of the perch.  That looks like a typical WE transmitter in the picture.  There must have been a non-WE transmitter installed on mine.  It shouldn't be too hard to rig up a mounting arm, but if anyone has a flex-arm LMK.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

ESalter

That is an incredibly neat find!  I thought it was neat when Greg posted the photos of it from the auction, but now with the photo of the complete phone to know how it was mounted...  very cool :) 

---Eric

Doug Rose

Russ....great picture.

Greg...you got a deal! It is a phone that gets an over used description 99% of the time, this time it fits.......it is RARE!!!
Kidphone

unbeldi

Between 1908 and 1912, the 1020-A transmitter arm was furnished with a No. 20A perch, 229-W transmitter, and a 122-W receiver.  All for $12.35

But they were still made into the 1930s under model no. 1020-CC.

Sargeguy

Excellent!  I can build my own!

Here is a pic of the 20-A with receiver and transmitter head attached:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

K1WI

Greg ,   
    Picture of two of the three types of mounts I have ,  the third type has a hollow bolt  and can mount to an "L" bracket (elephant ear) Will send you pix end of month when I get home. Nice find  !
    Andy F         K1WI / UA3 /P
Andy F    K1WI

K1WI

Greg ,    I remember seeing a fourth type ,although I never had one , that was similar to the nickle one in my photo but the end was split ( had slits ) in two places and then a clamp was tightened to keep it in place.  The clamp had thumb screws like the perches on early desk stands.
Andy F    K1WI

Sargeguy

Cool. I think this one is a keeper. I am going to rig up something to mount it on the wall for now while I look for an old flex-phone or flex-arm. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409