News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 1000 dial not working .... I thinK ....????

Started by xtal_01, January 24, 2018, 09:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtal_01

Back to my NE 500 C/D

I think there is a problem with the dial contacts (or plastic that makes it pulse) or ???

So, I got my Dial Gizmo in today .... put it on the 500 ... dials out great!

Tried it on my Kellogg 1000 .... dials out great.

Then I tried the "dial hold" features.

The are features such as the "#" and the "*"

They are accessed by using a number such as 2 for *

The only difference is you dial the 2 .... hold your finger against the stop for 2 seconds ... then let go.

It somehow senses the dial is help against the stop signalling it to use this function.

I tried it on the Kellogg .... works great!

I tried it on the NE 500 .... can't get it to work!!!!!

I took the phone apart .... The dial has a 7D marked on it and 2-63  .... metal dial.

I  see there is three contacts  (well two look redundant).  The ones for the pulse look very worn.  I see a plastic piece that swings around very loose and holds open the pulse contacts and the off center cam.

So, two question ....

1) Any idea what is wrong?  Why is it not sensing the dial is being held?

2) if it is the contacts, where can I get a set?  and/or that little piece of plastic and cam?

OR ... am I way off track and there is some other problem I can't / don't see?

Thanks ..... Mike

poplar1

It's probably not a defective dial. The 7D dial shorts out the receiver in the 500 set. The K1000 probably shorts out the whole phone, and as dsk pointed out, the Dialgizmo is looking for that short while you are holding the finger wheel stationary.

Actually, most of us have never been able to get the Dialgizmo * and pound function to work with any phone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

xtal_01

Thanks!

I actually did a search after I put up the post and saw how many problems people had.

I am just wondering if anyone ever did get it to work with the number hold features on a 500

Thanks .... Mike

TelePlay

Quote from: xtal_01 on January 25, 2018, 10:04:33 AM
I actually did a search after I put up the post and saw how many problems people had.

I am just wondering if anyone ever did get it to work with the number hold features on a 500

Good question. However, I think the cheaper devices are usually expected to only convert pulse to tone to get rotary phones working once again on VOIP and similar digital lines. Getting a converter to also provide # and * is a bonus in that the rotary on a POTS line never had it in the first place.

Seems like quite a matrix of what works with what service in that some work with uVerse and some don't, etc, and there are 4 or 5 converters on the market from Dialor to XLink BTTN.

The 308/616 do not provide * and # capabilities, IIRC, but am gladly willing to find out differently from heavy 308/616 users.

poplar1

He said the * and # work when using the Kellogg 1000.

You might want to try moving the 2 white dial wires from R and GN on the network to C and RR.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

xtal_01

I can give that a try tonight.

I do get my phone through the internet ... thus the need for a converter.

I am one of those people who don't just want to display old things but actually use them.

I am a machinist by trade and have many tools that are over 100 years old and I still use them daily.

I love these old phones ... just want to keep using them.

If I don't get a # and * it won't be the end of the world ... but would be nice if I can get them to work.

Thanks so much ...... Mike

Just FYI ... I recently picked up a second wall hand crank (magneto) phone cheap ($50 ... complete and unmolested).

I will have to start asking you guys how to hook two of them up together (just the two on a closed circuit between the house and the workshop).  Think it will be sharp to let people talk to each other on them.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on January 25, 2018, 10:24:16 AM
He said the * and # work when using the Kellogg 1000.

You might want to try moving the 2 white dial wires from R and GN on the network to C and RR.

Yes, I short handed that reply. One thing I did not include was the phone itself which has a direct effect on what the converter is seeing.. My bad.