News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NEED HELP!! Incoming calls causing a short.

Started by recrum, June 12, 2018, 10:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recrum

I've only had to do basic rewiring and a lot of cosmetics for my restores so I seriously need the help of the masters.  My first automatic electric 40 that has sat on the end table looking pretty suddenly has a problem.  I can call out just fine.  When I get in incoming call it stops after one ring with the other end just getting a very faint bit of static like someone answered it but no one did.

rdelius

Ring trip-bad ringer capacator. replace with a  .47 on 1 uf at more than 200v   max

recrum

Quote from: rdelius on June 12, 2018, 11:01:24 PM
Ring trip-bad ringer capacator. replace with a  .47 on 1 uf at more than 200v   max

So you're saying I all of a sudden blew the capacitor for the ringer?

rdelius

Ringer capacators get old and leaky with age  .When you are called,You get too much momentary dc flow and the CO thinks you have  picked up the handset

dsk

By my experience 2 thing2 may cause this:
1 A bad capacitor (may happen on new and old phones)
2 To high ringer load, caused by to many phones, ore one really old one with lo impedance ringer. (Happend once for me with a 1920-ish phone with 2 microfarad capacitor and 1000 ohms ringer)

dsk

recrum

Thank you guys for the help.  Everything else was disconnected to test and still had same result.  So it looks like I'll be on the lookout for another capacitor.  I didn't know where to even begin my troubleshooting which is why I'm so glad this forum exists.

RB

Don't know if this is good info or not...
does it have a dial???
does it return all the way???
How would you expect it to behave if the dial were faulty?

recrum

It does have one and returns completely.  No clue if the dial could cause my issue, don't even know if a bad line cord would.  Bringing my phones back to life has been more cosmetic, cleaning contacts and basic wiring of new cords.  Nothing ever this involved.

rdelius

The capacitor is the most likely cause altough I have seen bad modular plugs with lightning damage also cause ring trip

recrum

I scavenged one off a parts phone just haven't gotten around to digging out the soldering iron yet. Thanks everyone for the help.

Vacuumlad1650

We have this same problem with line two on my Grandparents phone at their house. Still POTS, and I've run all new cable to the jacks to a new (uncluttered) terminal board. Any unnecessary cables and jacks were removed.
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

recrum

Quote from: Vacuumlad1650 on June 28, 2018, 09:15:48 AMWe have this same problem with line two on my Grandparents phone at their house. Still POTS, and I've run all new cable to the jacks to a new (uncluttered) terminal board. Any unnecessary cables and jacks were removed.

Were you able to solve the problem?  Time got away from me and I just never got back around to trying to fix mine.