Main Menu

My Dad's 40 Years with Illinois Bell and his "Collection"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 12:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

Quote from: AE_collector on November 20, 2012, 09:45:13 PM
Quote from: AE40FAN on November 20, 2012, 07:37:06 PM
How much for the orange phone? ;D

The Oronge 500 desk phone in Reply #1 PAGE 1? WECo never offered bright oronge, right? It must be relatively old as it has an oronge spade line cord rather than Modular cord? What year was oronge first offered?

Terry

WEco never produced orange 500 sets for general distribution.  However, they did make a few for special purposes.  I have one, and you can see it here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3831.msg50804#msg50804

These are really rare.  If Maureen's orange 500 is really a WECo, and it isn't painted, it's worth big bucks.

Message to Maureen:  Does your orange phone say Bell System or Western Electric on the top-rear of the case or on the handset?

DF

MagicMo

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2012, 10:17:28 PM
My guess is that the orange 500 is an ITT.  The number card, from what I can see in the small picture, does not look like a Bell System card, and the area code does not appear to be 312, which was the code for the entire Chicago area back when that phone was in use.  I don't think that WE made orange phones during the years (1970s) that orange was in vogue.

As for a value, I would guess in the $30-$40 range, but I don't really follow orange phones.

Larry

The area code was 414. My grams WI home.
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

Quote from: Dave F on November 20, 2012, 10:20:01 PM
Quote from: AE_collector on November 20, 2012, 09:45:13 PM
Quote from: AE40FAN on November 20, 2012, 07:37:06 PM
How much for the orange phone? ;D

The Oronge 500 desk phone in Reply #1 PAGE 1? WECo never offered bright oronge, right? It must be relatively old as it has an oronge spade line cord rather than Modular cord? What year was oronge first offered?

Terry

WEco never produced orange 500 sets for general distribution.  However, they did make a few for special purposes.  I have one, and you can see it here:

These are really rare.  If Maureen's orange 500 is really a WECo, and it isn't painted, it's worth big bucks.

Message to Maureen:  Does your orange phone say Bell System or Western Electric on the top-rear of the case or on the handset?

DF
I will check next time I go there

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: MagicMo on November 20, 2012, 10:25:33 PM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2012, 10:17:28 PM
My guess is that the orange 500 is an ITT.  The number card, from what I can see in the small picture, does not look like a Bell System card, and the area code does not appear to be 312, which was the code for the entire Chicago area back when that phone was in use.  I don't think that WE made orange phones during the years (1970s) that orange was in vogue.

As for a value, I would guess in the $30-$40 range, but I don't really follow orange phones.

Larry

The area code was 414. My grams WI home.
Maureen

I was thinking that it showed 414, but I wasn't sure.  The handset on shell (behind the cradle) probably show "ITT".

Larry

dsk

Maureen, dear fellow collectors, I guess it is the right time to come with a warning.

Telephones may have an effect of addiction, you may only keep one or two as a start...

For us others, we will welcome you, and the most of us will be more happy to have you here, than we we will be sorry for not getting our fingers into your great collection.

dsk

MagicMo

Quote from: Dave F on November 20, 2012, 10:20:01 PM
WEco never produced orange 500 sets for general distribution.  However, they did make a few for special purposes.  I have one, and you can see it here:

These are really rare.  If Maureen's orange 500 is really a WECo, and it isn't painted, it's worth big bucks.

Message to Maureen:  Does your orange phone say Bell System or Western Electric on the top-rear of the case or on the handset?

DF

Is says Northern Telecom
Maureen

MagicMo

I found more stuff today
Maureen

MagicMo

Not sure if the following pics are phone collectibles.
Maureen

MagicMo

More pics

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on November 23, 2012, 08:41:45 PM
Not sure if the following pics are phone collectibles.
Maureen

Pretty much anything related to phones or with "Bell System" on it is collectible.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

MagicMo

A few more

Greg G.

What is this, a little bell?  Does it say anything on it?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Greg:

Maybe that's where the term "Baby Bell" came from.
-Bill G

MagicMo

Does anyone know where the number "3" comes from on this 533A phone? Just curious.
Thanks,
Maureen

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on November 23, 2012, 09:32:45 PM
Does anyone know where the number "3" comes from on this 533A phone? Just curious.
Thanks,
Maureen

Just a guess, but I think sometimes the phone company numbered phones in places where there were several of them.
- Mike Row
e