News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What Do You Think is the Rarest Color Before the 500 Set??

Started by Doug Rose, November 20, 2010, 02:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

If we are willing to include non-painted 500-type sets in this discussion, I have a real gem of a candidate.  This is a special-production orange W.E. 510 set (designated F-46504) made in 1974 for a motel chain.  (All the anecdotal evidence I have suggests that it was made for Howard Johnson.)  Was used with a remote automatic dialer to dial a pre-programmed 7-digit number.  You would lift the handset, wait for dial tone, then push down on the turnkey to initiate dialing.  (Note: The turnkey on most regular-production 510 sets did include the push capability, but it was rarely ever put to use.)

These pictures were taken some time ago.  Since then, the phone has been nicely cleaned up.  When I get a little free time, I'll dig it out and post some better pics, including the W.E. autodialer that it was used with.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim S. on November 23, 2010, 12:00:30 PM
Quote from: Kidphone on November 20, 2010, 05:10:35 PM
Jim....  Whatever color you think is the toughest would be official enough for me....Doug

A transparent soft plastic 302 is very tough to find, I have heard of one that is probably soft plastic . I have heard of an ivory/rose swirl 302 as well.
It is probably slightly harder to find the swirl 302.
JMO,
Jim

BTW Bell labs made a clear and white swirled 302 housing.
Jim....do you have a picture of the Ivory swirl? Sounds like a very cool phone. I take it that it wasn't for production. Was it just the base that had the swirl or was it the base and handset. ....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Dave, I like the Ho-Jo phone.  Very cool.  I've seen the Howard Johnson's phones on eBay from time to time, but not a 510.  Where did it live??

Dave F

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 24, 2010, 10:29:24 AM
Dave, I like the Ho-Jo phone.  Very cool.  I've seen the Howard Johnson's phones on eBay from time to time, but not a 510.  Where did it live??
It definitely came from a motel, as there was a sticker on the case indicating that.  There was no area code or phone number on the dial center, so it's precise origin remains a mystery.  However, on the bottom, you can see a phone number written in ink.  This was probably the number that the autodialer called -- maybe a taxicab or similar service.

I have previously seen other orange phones that are positively known to have come from Howard Johnson, but they have all been ITT.  This is the first orange W.E. that I have come across.  I think that it would have taken an organization with substantial financial clout to persuade W.E. to produce phones in a special color.  That, coupled with the knowledge of other orange H.J. sets, is a pretty good indicator that this was made for them.  If anybody has occasion to stay at a Howard Johnson, be sure to poke around and look at all the phones you can.  Maybe there are others like this that are just waiting to get "rescued" (heh heh)!

oldphon

I think I have the BSP for that set and dialer somewhere.  I'll see if I can dig it up.  I seem to remember a stand it all sat on too.

AE_Collector

So what's the scoop on the Ho-Jo phone? A dialer circuit inside the phone? If so, it should have been able to hotline to the programmed number without the need for the button push...unless it needed to be able to receive calls as per normal but not make calls other than to the preprogrammed number.

And what was it dialing to, their reservation centre? If so, the phone probably wasn't used IN Ho-Jo's but more likely at airports, bus depot's etc. If so, I still don't get the need for the button push...

Terry

Dave F

Quote from: ae_collector on November 25, 2010, 07:22:09 PM
So what's the scoop on the Ho-Jo phone? A dialer circuit inside the phone? If so, it should have been able to hotline to the programmed number without the need for the button push...unless it needed to be able to receive calls as per normal but not make calls other than to the preprogrammed number.

And what was it dialing to, their reservation centre? If so, the phone probably wasn't used IN Ho-Jo's but more likely at airports, bus depot's etc. If so, I still don't get the need for the button push...

Terry
The orange 510 was connected to a remote (external) W.E. 43A programmable dial, which I also managed to obtain.  (For those who may be interested, the BSP for the 43A dial is 501-165-101)  I will have to locate the 43A and post some pictures.  The push function on the 510 turnkey was wired to activate the dialer.

On the phone, under the handset, was a sticker indicating that the phone came from a motel, although the exact name was not shown.  I removed the sticker when I cleaned the phone, but I think I still have it somewhere.  If I can find it, I'll post a picture of that as well.

My theory: The phone probably sat on or near the front desk, and may have been used to call a cab, shuttle bus, etc.  As I said, the evidence that it came from H J is strictly anecdotal, although it certainly makes a lot of sense.  If anybody has additional info that might confirm or refute that idea, please let us know.  In any case, it sure is a cool and uncommon color for a WE 500.

poplar1

Quote from: Dave F on November 23, 2010, 01:12:42 PM
If we are willing to include non-painted 500-type sets in this discussion, I have a real gem of a candidate.  This is a special-production orange W.E. 510 set (designated F-46504) made in 1974 for a motel chain.  (All the anecdotal evidence I have suggests that it was made for Howard Johnson.)  Was used with a remote automatic dialer to dial a pre-programmed 7-digit number.  You would lift the handset, wait for dial tone, then push down on the turnkey to initiate dialing.  (Note: The turnkey on most regular-production 510 sets did include the push capability, but it was rarely ever put to use.)

These pictures were taken some time ago.  Since then, the phone has been nicely cleaned up.  When I get a little free time, I'll dig it out and post some better pics, including the W.E. autodialer that it was used with.

WE also made an orange and dark blue set (I think it was a 2500); these are the colors of a certain  college (Auburn  University??). These were molded colors,  not painted.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dave F

Quote from: poplar1 on January 20, 2013, 10:38:52 PM

WE also made an orange and dark blue set (I think it was a 2500); these are the colors of a certain  college (Auburn  University??). These were molded colors,  not painted.

If they really were molded and not painted, that would be quite a find!  I'd love to see one!

DF

Jim Stettler

The Howard Johnson sets came in painted and molded  orange. The dial rings were "backpainted". I have a dial around somewhere. There were special runs of some colors for special orders.

(a little off topic)
The hardest "Fat Mod" Trinline color would probably be Violet.
I know of 1 handset and 1 base. A collector bought both and made a violet fat mod trimline (w/o the cord). I turned it down for $500 however it did sell for $500.
The rarestest to find "specia finish l" trimline is the 1-in-a-billion set. It is a dull gold color (not imperial shiny) and has a medallion on the handset. I have seen and hamdled this phone. It is in the hands of a collector.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Partyline4

Wow!

Do you have a picture of this "special finish" set?

I'm sure we'd all love to see it!