News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

the 95B P/S and 18 volt signalling power

Started by Babybearjs, February 18, 2018, 04:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

heres my question, I had a TAM-32 that had a 95B1 power pack and in my system I have the 18 volt signaling power available at the phone jack.... if the 1A1 and 1A2 systems had 18 volts available to be wired to the equipment, then why would you need a separate power supply for add-on equipment? I never had understood why this was the case. if you can get power over the 25 pair cable, then whats the use of having another power supply.... the only thing that comes to mind is a single line phone... unless of course the worry was a blown fuse.... when I wired my system, I allowed for both 10 and 18 volts availibilty at the phone jack. has anyone ever done this also?
John

rdelius

I sometimes wired speakerphones with the power tapped off the ksu  .Made things neater and less troublesome

AE_Collector

Other than the little wall wart 18V AC power supplies for speakerphones we had a larger output 18V power supply that could durectly power numerous speakerphones but the output had to be Non Grounded. Could this be a problem with the 20V AC power in key system power packs?

compubit

I think it would work, as I have the 5 line 1A2 TAM-32 phone, and IIRC it doesn't have an external power source - but pulls from the key system.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Babybearjs

yeh, see at least I'm not the only one with this idea... it just makes it a lot easier when you can connect accessories to a common power supply in stead of having a mess of wires and plug-in power supplies... On my desk I have a 544 that I converted to a 2544... I have the 10 volt power at the phone and my teledialer 32 wired into the phone with the power being drawn from the 10 volts... the unit works fine and I don't have to have a separate power supply.....
John