News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone jack Practice

Started by Babybearjs, February 18, 2018, 04:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

does anyone know if there is a BSP that was dedicated to just the different types of phone jacks in use? I'm looking for connection data... showing the different jacks and the associated wiring for them.  basically the newer modular jacks.... I have what looks like some RJ-48 jacks that are used for my ATC Teledialers... the jack in hard wired into my phone sets so the dialer can be plugged in and used, but the phone will function normally if the dialer is unplugged.  (is that a RJ-48 config?) 
John

rdelius

GTE 491-300-140 .491-300-130. 491-300-120 might be on line,

AE_Collector

Jim Stettler

It is probably  a RJ31x (aka "seize" jack). They are typically used on alarm systems. I have an American Bell Telstar that uses 1.

Dial tone comes into the jack on the red and green. There is a "shorting" bar that transfer the dial tone back to another pair in the jack. When a cord is plugged into the jack  the dial tone gets routed into your equipment and then back out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In an alarm system the purpose is to have the alarm dialer as the first device connected to the line. This allows the equipment to "seize" the line, and call in an alarm.

When a cord is plugged into the jack it disconnects the shorting bar. This sends dial tone into the unit, there is another set of terminals that passes the dial tone back to the house phones
The RJ31X is used as the disconnecting means to remove the equipment from the telephone network.
On my telstar it is used to keep the house telephones disconnected from the network unless the Telstar needs an outside line.

Bell has a bsp on Registration Jacks. I think it is listed in there.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

What is an American Bell Telstar? At first I was picturing the Telstar decorator phone but quickly realized this can not be what you are referring to!

Terry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 18, 2018, 11:55:23 AM
What is an American Bell Telstar? At first I was picturing the Telstar decorator phone but quickly realized this can not be what you are referring to!

Terry
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18892.msg194281#msg194281

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Oh now I remember....that is a cool item to have!

Terry