News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What has affected candlestick, oilcan, potbelly pricing trends last 15 years?

Started by rfkimba, February 07, 2014, 12:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Guys,
One doesn't have to slab a phone to identify it, preserve it or  document its condition like a rare coin. Several high resolution photos taken at standard positions with a detailed written description noting, refinishing, defects or wear should work fine for a grading service of rare and unusual phones. The ATCA or TCi can sponsor/run it or an experienced collector/appraisor can start it as an apppraisal service. The only downside is shipping is more of a hassle for phones. The grading services for the numismatists have eliminated overgrading and subjectivity for rare coins. Graded coins routinely sell for more than self graded coins subject to seller bias.   

Does anyone remember what an excellent condition WE#10 went for 10 or 15 years ago?

Bob Farber

tallguy58

I think Greg was kidding.

I know I was.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I collect phones to use them.

Unless of course you have 300 of them, then it's unrealistic to have them all hooked up. I compare it to the chowder head that buys a collector car then just looks at it. Never drives it.

Same reason slabbing a comic is stupid.

What's the point of having it??
Cheers........Bill

Phonesrfun

I both use them and collect them.  I have about 150 phones and so obviously I can't use them all, at least not all at the same time.  I have a few favorites that I rotate, but most of mine are admittedly  shelf queens, even though most of my phones work, including the local battery magneto sets.

I do like looking at them too, and showing them to visitors.

-Bill G

Doug Rose

Quote from: tallguy58 on February 08, 2014, 08:06:35 PM
I think Greg was kidding.

I know I was.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I collect phones to use them.

Unless of course you have 300 of them, then it's unrealistic to have them all hooked up. I compare it to the chowder head that buys a collector car then just looks at it. Never drives it.

Same reason slabbing a comic is stupid.

What's the point of having it??

The point in having them is they are a piece of history.  A working instrument from days gone by that still function on today's digital system.  I enjoy saving a phone from the scrap heap. whether it sells to another on eBay or stays in my phone room.

Mine sit proudly on shelf's and hang from the walls of a locked room so my young grandchildren cannot "play" with them. I collect them to display. They are art to me and I am very proud of them. That is why I have them.....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8211.msg115712#msg115712
Kidphone

RotarDad

I believe most of us phone collectors have phone to use and phones for display.  To me the phones need to work to be "right".  But that doesn't mean I use them all.  I have common examples I use every day, but the less common or extremely nice ones are in not use where they might get damaged. 

Value is usually directly related to condition, so keeping them nice is important.  I also can't stand watching a vintage coil cord getting stretched out, so I've got a repro. cord on my daily use '54 500. ;)
Paul