News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I finally Nabbed One! SP Lt Beige 500

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, September 08, 2015, 03:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I think every WE500 collector underestimates the rarity of Soft Plastic Light Beige 500 sets. I have had maybe five or six misses when it came to finding this color. The most recent was just over a year ago when I saw a 1958 version listed for $39 BiN on eBay. I tried to get it, but Dennis Markham ended up getting it before me!

Well, I finally found one! Listed for $49.99 BiN today on eBay, I managed to get it before anyone else did! It appears to be original, except, sadly, for the modular line cord. I can't remember the last time I've seen one as early as 1957, either!

There is a bit of staining on the sides, but that should be removed with peroxide! The 'staining' was actually just a reflection of the cord; seems to be very even color otherwise!

Not bad for $49 plus $17 shipping! I'm glad that I can finally cross this one off my list!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291557045572
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

It's a beauty, Christian. Looks to be in very good shape, even on the bottom. I hope you have a surprise card lurking behind the one we see. It looks like it was worth the wait, and yes light beige in soft plastic is often hard to find. Was it $39 or $49? It's an early one too, with 1957 being the year of introduction. Good luck finding the mounting cord. You can just leave it cordless for the time being.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks! It was $49, my typo! The one Dennis got a year ago was $39, but came to him in a mailing envelope!! I think If I did end up getting his phone from the listing, it would have been smashed during transit, with my luck! I messaged the seller on proper packing, so hopefully it arrives in good shape, albeit a very short trip from Chicago. We'll have to see... :)

I would be very happy to have a nice original card under the newer, exposed one. I'm getting tired of printing the only 3 high-resolution non-black cards available on Telephone Archive!! >:(

Here was Dennis' phone. It was posted in 'Bad Packing Awards':
Christian Petterson

LarryInMichigan

Nice phone!  Although I never liked light beige, I did have to get a soft plastic one for my collection a year or two ago.  They are not so common since they were only made for a few years.  I actually have two now since I bought a very dirty one at the flea market a few weeks ago for $3.

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

Sorry for taking so long to respond with 'after' shots. I actually had this cleaned up the night I got it. All dates match to 8-57!

I consider this to be in factory condition; not flawlessly shiny, but not in 'as found' condition. This was only lightly polished and the cord was recoiled, plus a dial card swap. It's sure in nice shape!!
Christian Petterson

DiaLen

Nice Christian!
Looks like you got one of those "always sat on the nightstand up in my parents bedroom" phones and brought it back to like-new condition.
Good pickup.
-Len
Be faithful to the commitments of your life.

Dennis Markham

CHRISTIAN, very nice soft plastic phone.  On my monitor the handset caps appear slightly darker.  For some reason those caps on the Light Beige tend to darken.  I have a late-model one from May of 1959 and the caps are a tad bit darker than the handset.

Nice refurb and I like that dial card. 

~Dennis

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks everyone!

Dennis, the caps are slightly darker than the handset, but the caps match the bezel and the housing matches the handset in color. I think it may have something to do with facial oils over time.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 22, 2015, 08:23:28 PM
CHRISTIAN
Nice touch, Dennis, nice touch... ;D
Christian Petterson