News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction (207: Cancelled: Did Not Sell) Unusual US Army Signal Corps TA-166/U - Ended 04-23-16

Started by TelePlay, April 16, 2016, 07:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 24, 2016, 11:32:16 AM
Is that in fact a Western Electric, or Automatic Electric ?
D/P

No, it's not WE, or an AE.

Seems the seller is not that knowledgeable on phones becasue it says right on the handset and back of the housing that the phone was made by Conn. Tel. & Elec. Corp. but put Western Electric in his listing title, both times now.

HarrySmith

I made an offer of $40.00 on it. It was declined. The seller sent me a message telling me his other 2 sold for $70.00 and $126.00. He also told me he has the desk set to go with it and asked me if I had a cap for the handset as his is missing one. I do have a Conn. handset but I will not be selling the caps!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 24, 2016, 05:01:40 PM
I made an offer of $40.00 on it. It was declined. The seller sent me a message telling me his other 2 sold for $70.00 and $126.00.

Now that's funny. Just happens to be two (2) sold wall toasters on eBay that went for $126 and $71 (plus shipping on each) but each was sold by a different seller, each living in a different city and state (New York and Nebraska) and each in much better condition.

If you are in contact with him again, tell him you are in need of a bridge and see if he has one to sell you . . .  ;)

Hudson, New York ($126.49 plus $20 shipping):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Telephone-Western-Electric-US-Army-Signal-Corps-TA-166-U-Rotary-Phone-/281943692715

South Souix Falls, Nebraske ($71 plus $12.95 shipping):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telephone-Signal-Corps-U-S-ARMY-TA-166-U-/201527708964

HarrySmith

Interesting. He did say the first one was not sold on eBay but the second one was. I now have a counteroffer of $49.99 plus shipping. Do you think it's worth that?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

Do you think you can free up that hookswitch plunger that is corroded in place?  The bottom most one in the close up.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

I cannot believe that people were willing to pay $126 for the phone with the stripped paint, incorrect handset, and missing dial center.  Mine is looking more like a bargain.

Probably the biggest selling point of this model is that it is about the most military looking office phone around.  The shell is also bullet-proof :).

Larry