News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hi2U

Started by flybynyte, March 12, 2016, 10:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flybynyte

Just a very brief intro,  I chanced on this forum while researching a couple of older phones I acquired
quite a few years ago.   Certainly looks like I've hit the jackpot here regarding classic phone expertise and enthusiasm.
I haven't done much with the phones since they were given to me, (Northern Electric 302) dead? no dial tone.but nice.
(N/E 2500) works great but does not ring, blue & extra nice.   I have an affinity for all things old, I particularly enjoy rejuvenating
and/or refinishing items with the ultimate goal of my personally enjoying them afterwards.  It's the country life
for me, I've been retired for several years and I do enjoy peace and quiet,...but I do appreciate the ring of
a loud old telephone.  I hope to spend many interesting and relaxing hours among this new fraternity. Cheers!
*and Frankie, my cat says Hi to you also...

Bert

AE_Collector

Welcome Bert! We're all glad that you found us as well.

I think you are correct, Frankie has at least cracked an eye slightly open to say Hi, that's as close to a full fledged "Hello" as you will get from most cats...until they hear the can opener that is! We have two of them wearing out their heated sleep mats here as well.

Here is Sophie helping out with taking a picture of this phone ....

And Sebastian grabbing some ZZZ's

Terry

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Welcome to CRPF. Another Canadian to the group. No borders here, just great people with a lot of information and help.  :)

Doug

Mr. Bones

Welcome, Bert!

Glad to have you here, I'd have to imagine the members can get your phones working as intended, in a short time.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

andre_janew

Welcome aboard!  Yes our members will get your phones working right in a short time.  However, they may insist that you open them up and take some pictures of the insides.  That is how they often spot problems.

oldguy

Welcome Bert, glad to see another retiree. Glad to see you found us. As stated, we like picture. Inside of phone, outsides of phones it always makes the post more fun. I'm kinda new too & these guys are a wealth of information. Enjoy the forum.
Gary

Pourme

Hey Bert! New guy here as well...There is a wealth of information here and a fine group of folks willing to share their knowledge. Welcome!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

NorthernElectric

Hi2u2 flybynyte!  Is it safe to assume by the phones you have that you're a Canuck?  If so there's plenty of us here.

There's an excellent chance that your 2500 will start ringing if you find the black ringer wire on 'G', move it to 'L1' and if the red ringer wire is on 'G', move it to 'L2'.  The 302 shouldn't be that hard to fix either; you'll find plenty of information here to help you check that it's wired correctly, troubleshoot, etc.  Don't be afraid to ask if you get stuck.
Cliff

flybynyte

Thank you for the warm welcome and generous offers of repair assistance, your kind words have put to rest
my "NEWBOY" jitters and greatly exceeded my most optimistic expectations regarding acceptance to the fold.
I have taken several photos of the 2500's internals for inclusion in a thread about it's non-ring malaise.
I do suspect some tampering has occurred in the past, none by me however.  The unit looks very clean and
also corrosion-free internally. I have noticed some possible anomalies in the black and yellow entrance leads. 
I am eager to solicit your collective insights into the problem witch I'm certain will result in a cure for it's silent attitude.
I cannot thank you enough thus far....
                                                      Bert

dsk

Hi, and welcome!
We really enjoy helping others to get the interests of phones, and get tehm working.
dsk

WEBellSystemChristian

What is it with Canadians, Californians, and Michiganders on this forum?!? :o ;D ;)

Welcome to our little asylum! I hope you make many friends here! :)

While we're at it, here is a picture of one of my cats, Andie. She doesn't like the camera while she's sleeping!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

flybynyte

Continuing with the cat theme but on a much sadder note for me......
My dear old Miss Claws that quietly and faithfully shared my space during the past 18 years
was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure in 2013.  I helped her battle her deteriorating condition
until  just a few days before Christmas 2015 when she finally  let it be known that the time had come
for us to part.  Even though I had started the grieving process at the time of her initial diagnosis,
the day of her passing while cradled in my arms  aroused terrible sadness.  I know that time will soften
the pain eventually.  Living alone has certain advantages but precisely because the companionship
of a loving animal can take over such a large segment of your existence makes it almost unbearably
hard to bear when it ends.  I hope I haven't offended anyone here by posting these somewhat personal
comments, it just helps to give vent to grief at times, I trust all of the pet owners on-board will understand.

Bert

WEBellSystemChristian

Don't worry, you haven't offended anyone. That was a very sad story, and happened so recently; my condolences.

I had a cat named Blackie who lived with us since I was about 6 until 2013, when she ran away from home. It doesn't surprise me that she ran away--she wasn't a very friendly cat to anyone in my family but me, and even I couldn't touch her face or pick her up without biting or scratching me. Apparently one of my sister's old friends (lived a couple blocks away from us) had a cat who she adopted after being let inside their house on a rainy night. Her description of the cat fit Blackie perfectly!

When we found Blackie 11 or so years ago, she was outside on a winter night, and yoweling to be let in. I suspect that she has been 'house hopping' for years; finding one family to live with, then running away to live with someone else after getting bored of them.

We now have three cats, two of which we adopted from a garden nursery next door. The third, Andie, found us in Prarie Du Chien, Wisconsin a few years ago. My grandparents owned a beautiful piece of land there, and my family drives there every summer to mow the lawn and explore the land. One day, while we were packing up to leave, we heard a chirping sound coming from the steep overgrown hill directly next to us. At first we thought it was some kind of bird, but it kept getting louder and louder, with the bushes rustling closer and closer to us. Then, this scrawny little Calico jumped out of the bushes and started chirping (yes, chirping, not meowing) at us! I have never seen a feral cat that was so friendly; she let us hold her, pick her up, and scratch her! :o By the time we got her home, we had her eating cat food and completely trained by the end of the day. When we brought her to the vet, they explained that she had literally been eating dirt for months. Although she was small and scrawny, she was about 3 years old, but looked so small because she had eaten so little. Now she's just about the friendliest cat I know (shares 1st place with Riley and Misty, her roommates).

What I don't understand is how she knew we were friendly. From where we found her, there wasn't another house for miles, and the steep hills were very difficult for anything to climb. The only way I can guess is that she slowly migrated from a farm somewhere over 3 years.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Sad story Bert, I've been there numerous times myself. It is inevitable when you have anywhere from 1 to 4 cats at any given time (2 at the moment). I have only had one die in my arms as you describe. She was 17 or 18 and we knew the end had come. Numerous others at the vet though where I held them as they were put down for one incurable health problem of old age or another. It is never easy. The only good thing is that there is no shortage of cats that need a good home so deciding to not replace a beloved pet shouldn't be considered as an option.

If you think you will be in trouble here right from the beginning posting stuff like this, check the number of posts in the off topic category! Almost anything goes here. Many of us ask questions on completely off topic subjects hoping that others here know the answer rather than having to chance going to a different forum that regularly discusses the topic of concern. It is sort of like asking your friends at work, you all have a common interest, your employer/employment in that example but you talk about all sorts of other topics at coffee, lunch etc.

Christian, it sounds as though Andie was raised around humans but somehow wound up out fending for herself. Almost anything is possible and not all humans treat animals as they should. I cant recall if I have told this story here before or not but wil anyway.

I was working on a phone line in a fairly rural area. Near a cross connect box way down the road I kept hearing a cat cry. I kept looking around when I heard it but it wasn't happening very often and I couldn't determine which direction it was coming from. I was done there in 10 or 15 minutes and decided to go looking around. After another 10 or so minutes I finally spotted the cat. Way up in a Douglas Fir tree maybe 50 feet off the road and naturally just on the other side of a very small stream.

I took the 3 piece 30 (3 - 10 foot sections) extension ladder off my truck and crashed through the forest and managed to put the ladder into the tree from my side of the creek. I fully expected the cat to climb higher away from me but I was quite surprised that she actually came down a few branches to meet me at the top of the ladder! After a few pets and reassurance I picked her up and carried her down to the ground. At this point I figured she lived at one if the rural homes close by and just was stuck in the tree not knowing how to get down. But once I put her down it was obvious that she wasn't running home for lunch.

Ladder away and cat into my van, now what to do. Then I noticed...she had an ear tattoo! Our cats do as well. There was a veteinary clinic a couple miles away so after sharing a bit of my lunch with her off we went. Upon arrival and telling my story out came some food which she devoured and they were looking up the tattoo code. From a vet another 10-15 miles away. I left my info in case they couldn't find the owner and back to work I went. A few hours later I arrived home to a flashing message waiting light. Message from the cats owner to "Please Call".

Cat was already home. She had been missing for 8 days and lived about 15 miles from where I found her. They had all but given up hope for her. Their best guess was that there was an open house (house for sale) next door the day she vanished. Lots of people came and it was summer so car windows may have been open. She was very inquisitive and might have climbed into a car that then drove off with her. Whether the drivers just opened the door and let her out 15 miles away or whatever else isn't known. But she eventually headed up the tree and had likely been there for 8 days. Owners were so happy to have her back! And I have a good cat story to tell for the rest of my life.

Terry