News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let's see your Turquoise phones guys!! (and gals)

Started by Dan, November 03, 2010, 11:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

After finally learning how to figure out a true turquoise vs a yellowed aqua  blue, I have been trying to get a good variety. My wife bought me a "turquoise" princess at a yard sale, but it was a yellowed aqua blue. I am still looking for one....

Being a child of the 70's, we had a turquoise fridge and the color was everywhere in our house, along with orange and yellow.  The the 80's brought in beige ::) and it hasn't been quite the same.

Here is a rare 10 button I just got on ebay from 10-1965. It will be my wife's new daily driver (has to have the touchtone)

This is a 1964  500, the first year for this one. It has the soft center finger wheel (the only year a turq has this)

Automatic Electric model 80 was released in turquoise prior to Western electric. This is a 11-1962

Who said you cannot have a six hole ear cap on a turquoise?  This is a conversion kit from Northern electric with the guts of a WE554. I had to alter the number plate to fit a WE dial.

Lastly here's a '57 model that I would love to own someday....

S

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

Growing up my parents had a turquise Bel Aire 4 door.

I used to play "spy car" with it.

You could launch the hood missles and Bumper bombs if you knew the proper sequence of buttons to push  ;D

Jim

BTW I think I  have a turq princess packed away somewhere.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Someone should start a Light Blue (AE - Forget Me Not Blue) Thread....

Stub??

Actually the two cars above quite nicely show the difference between light blue and turquoise and "No Sanding/ retrobright required"!

Thanks Kenny.

Terry

stub

Terry- I think I got the right color phone now. ::) I swiped your avatar and forgot to hang it up ::)

Dan- Here's my turquoise AE 183 Spacesaver      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dan

A Beautiful spacesaver!!

Kenny, my dad had an OLDS exactly like this!! To quote "A Christmas Story"- some people are Democrats, some Republicans, My father was an Oldsmobile Guy.

He switched to Pontiacs after I was born.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

The 55 Olds and the 57 Chevy are more like aqua blue to my eyes. The color for the Chevy is called Larkspur Blue. It could just be the picture because turquoise photographs aqua blue on some digital cameras. That's what makes it tough to know what color it is in an auction. There was also a color called Tropical Turquoise. Here is a color chart for the 57 Chevy. One of my elementary school teachers drove a 57 Chevy painted Dusk Pearl. It was metallic lavendar.

http://www.tri-5chevy.com/1957/Colors/1957colors.html

My Uncle Harold was also an Oldsmobile man, and his first Olds was a 55 Eighty-Eight 4-door sedan in light blue and white like the 98 in the picture. It was the favorite car in their family for years and lasted way beyond the other ones he owned, going eventually to my cousins who kept it into the 1970s. I was lucky to have gotten his 69 Delta 88 as my first car from 1976-83. He also owned a 59 Dynamic 88, a 65 Delta 88, the 69 Delta 88 I got, a 73 Delta 88 and a 76 Cutlass.

Now about turquoise phones, I have several. I want to start with one that's what I call "screamin' turquoise." It's a Kellogg from 1957. It's in a very translucent soft plastic with, unfortunately, a crack in the front. The cords are original. The next picture is the back of the phone. I really like this intense color and it's hard to find. It's more what I think of when I think of turquoise than the color WE called turquoise. To me that's more light green or mint green.

Next is an NE 554 with the thick switchhook that's NOS and hard plastic. It still has the original box and it's covered with the original plastic bags.

After that are two pictures of the same phone, a turquoise WE 554 with a matching backboard. It was very faded when I first got it (note the Mr. Yuck sticker) and I bleached it two or three times in one part bleach to two parts water, in the sun for about 8 hours each time. The second picture is how it looks now.

I have a few more I will share later. Thanks, Dan, for starting this thread.
Jonathan

jsowers

Some more turquoise phones I have.

A turquoise 220 Trimline.

A turquoise 1500. I really like the contrasting faceplate. This phone was a relative bargain on eBay many years ago because it was listed in an obscure category.

A turquoise 2500. The lilacs happened to be in bloom and I used that with the phone. The pitcher is Blue Ridge Pottery, handmade in Erwin, Tennessee in the 1950s.

A turquoise 500 taken the same day.

The last is a turquoise Princess promo that says "Long Distance Pays Off."

Turquoise is an interesting color to collect. It started at WE in 1959-60 with the 701 Princess and spread to the 500 and 554 in 1964 and also showed up in the 220, 1220, 1554, 2554, 702, 1702, 2702, 1500 and 2500. Paul's site says it was discontinued in 1978. Anyone have turquoise from that late? I bet that's even rarer than the 1963 models.
Jonathan

Dave F

Here are a couple of toughies in (genuine) Turquoise: 1510F two-line 10-button set, and a super-rare 2660A1 Card Dialer.  Some may argue that Pink is the most difficult color to find in a Card Dialer, but Turquoise might just have the edge.  (I'm still looking for a Pink one!)

Dan/Panther

Here are my contributions, all are phone including the '57'
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dave F

Turquoise AE 10-button Starlite, along with two other Starlites.  The blue one has a rare Star and Diamond Touch Tone (Touch Calling) 12-button dial.  I'll have more to say about that in a future posting.

HarrySmith

OK, my only real Turquoise.
AE 90 with NOS plastics, I have a couple more of these to build ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave F

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 04, 2010, 03:50:19 PM
OK, my only real Turquoise.