News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why don't they use these kind of phones for lamps?

Started by Greg G., October 02, 2011, 01:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Why always the good ones?
http://tinyurl.com/3t3k7pg
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

GG

In fact there is an antiques/collectors market and hobbyist subculture for character merchandise like that.  So if someone decided to crucify Gumby on a lamp post, chances are his fans would howl just as much as we do about tortured WE desk stands (and lately, Stromberg-Carlsons).

As a generalization, I think people object when any artifact is damaged in the process of being modified in a manner that does not respect its original identity and purpose.  For example think of old oak furniture that could be refinished but ends up getting painted.  And I can only imagine what goes on in the automotive hobbies, between restorers and hot-rodders. 

Bill

QuoteAs a generalization, I think people object when any artifact is damaged in the process of being modified in a manner that does not respect its original identity and purpose.  For example think of old oak furniture that could be refinished but ends up getting painted.
I know what you mean. In the old radio community, one of the biggest gripes is people who convert 1930's-era console radios, like the big Zeniths, into liquor cabinets. It happens fairly often, and the guts of the set - the valuable electronics - always end up in the trash bin.

Bill

LM Ericsson

People these days appreciate new telephones more than old telephones >:(
Regards,
-Grayson

Greg G.

Quote from: Bill on October 02, 2011, 09:29:18 AM
In the old radio community, one of the biggest gripes is people who convert 1930's-era console radios, like the big Zeniths, into liquor cabinets. It happens fairly often, and the guts of the set - the valuable electronics - always end up in the trash bin.

Bill

That often happens with acoustic phonographs (Victrolas, et al) too.  As for radios, one of my pride and joys is my non-working 29 Majestic.  All the parts are there, including tubes, and they will stay there.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e