"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

S.H. Couch Intercom Set

Started by VictrolaMan, February 27, 2012, 12:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VictrolaMan

Hey,
Brand new to forum but long time collector - true dummy collector. I have always had to pay someone else do my wiring and it is now time to learn. Just got a set of 1915ish S.H. Couch intercoms that are complete. They have 3 numbered posts. When I hook 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, and add a battery source to #2 on one set & #1 on the other the bells ring on opposite set when button is smashed - but no voice. Can ya'll assist me in how to wire these? I can send pics if needed. Thanks very much.

Owain

pics would be helpful.

And please don't smash the button. It's not the button's fault.  :)

VictrolaMan

Hey,
Sorry, Southern boy and we smash or mash buttons - I guess "push" is better understood. No clue how to load pictures but they are available here on my website: www.VictrolaShop.com under Couch on page 1 under CONTACT US.
I truly appreciate any assistance.

EDIT:  Images added for posterity

Bill

I can't quite read the Patent Number on the back, but if you take it to USPTO.gov, it should tell you everything you need to know. Or is it a Patent Date?

Bill

VictrolaMan

Hey friend,
Thanks very much for your kind reply.
It is not a patent number but says U.S. Pat. Sept 13, 1915 so I reckon I am back to square one.

VictrolaMan

I'll help any of ya'll fix your broken Victrola if you can help me with this project!
Thanks

VictrolaMan

When it comes to wiring I confess to be dumb as a box of hammers but if anyone can advise I'll try their idea. Thanks again!

dpaynter1066

Victrolaman I am looking for a circuit schematic to share with you but have found  no real info yet.  

It looks a lot like a conneticut duplex telephone      http://tinyurl.com/6wusetn

It appears that you have the following:
Microphone(transmitter)
Earpiece(receiver)
Low voltage bell (a buzzer with a bell hammer)
A normally open pushbutton.
a hook switch

Is there a coil (transformer) ?
Is there a capacitor (can with 2 or more wires)?

is the button connected to one wire and when pushed connected to a different wire?
How many wires does it appear to have had connecting it to the other station? 2 or 4 or more?

one way intercoms can be wired is:
station 1 battery to station 1 Transmitter to station 2 Receiver
station 2 battery to station 2 transmitter to station 1 Receiver
This circut has the problem of degrading the magnetism in the earpiece over time and using more wires so is generally not preferred.

A more usual and preffered way of doing it is to use a coil (transformer)

Station 1 battery to station 1 Transmitter to coil primary then back to battery / Coil secondary to station 2 receiver
Station 2 battery to station 2 Transmitter to coil primary then back to battery / Coil secondary to station 1 receiver

Battery would be 3 volts dc.  The bell should ring on 3volts dc, perhaps 6 or 12v

OR it could be wired like a telephone with everything in series, which is the best circuit as it only needs two wires.
Just musing, cant speak definitively on the subject.

VictrolaMan

Thanks - when I get into my shop tomorrow I will try all the info and reply. Really appreciate this!

VictrolaMan

There is no capacitor nor a coil other than those for the bells. I tried the first suggestion and got zip. There was only 1 scew for the mothpiece and I did not know where to put the other pole of the battery and nothing seemed to work. I tried the "series" but nothing there. Then I wired #1 on set 1 to #1 on set #2, #2-#2, #3-#3, and the mouthpiece to the other mouthpiece. I put a 6V to #1 on set 1 and #2 on set 2 and the bells worked as they should but no voice. When the hook was depressed I heard a loud click thru the earpieces and static continued - but no voice transmission. As for the second suggestion it is technically above my "box of hammers" electrical mind as I have no idea what a primary coil is or how to wire to it. I guess there was a reason I had to pay others to wire my old telephones.....:(  Any other suggestions would be welcomed or (even if I have to get help) a schematic might do. Thanks for the ideas - ya'll are some bright folks - wish it rubbed off.

VictrolaMan

I also tried the setup for the Conn set and used #1, #2, #3 in place of the B,BL, & L and hooked up 3V to each set. Bells worked on opposite sets when button smashed - oops! "pushed" but no sound over receivers. Once I accidentally toched the bell coil with the #3 wire and there was a LOT of loud static from the earpiece and it sounded like a faint sound was transmitted but then no bells. Can anyone tell me more?
Thanks very much!

Russ Kirk

can you please include some photos of your couch set.  i have a couple and don't know what type of set you're talking about.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

dpaynter1066

Russ, he posted a link in an earlier message to see his photos.  Do you have hookup info?

try permutating the wires

1  2  3
B  BL  L =   bell works correctly, no sound when off hook

1  2  3
L  B   BL  =  ?

1  2  3
BL L  B = ?

VictrolaMan

I will try this today and reply again - thanks!