News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Wood Wall Phone

Started by wds, November 05, 2011, 06:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked this up from Ebay for $66, just arrived today.  Seemed like a really good price, as I could part it out for twice that much.  Usually I can count on spending a couple hours cleaning up a phone before it goes on the shelf, but this one is so clean, it can go right up on the wall.  The wood looks like new, and all wiring seems original - I'm sure the dial was added on somewhere down the line, but even the dial wires seem original.  Can't find this model in any of my Kellogg catalogs.  I've been watching for an AE version of this phone, and hope to grab one pretty soon. 
Dave

rdelius

That set was refurbished in the 30s or 40s Note the ringer is a WE.There were a large quanity of these at a auction in Sou Va about 30 years ago. I bought one also.

wds

I can't always ID what brand those ringers are, but now that you point it out, it does look like a WE.  If it was refurbed in the 30-40's, I wonder why would they use a mercedes dial, and not a cheaper we#4 or 5 or ae24 dial. 
Dave

Doug Rose

Mercedes dial is worth the $66 and then some....nice find....Doug
Kidphone

GG

But if you want a more-correct WE #5 dial, I'll trade you for the AE dial that's on there now:-)

Seriously, that was one darn good find.  If I'd even seen it listed, I would have guesstimated somewhere around $200 - $250 for that one. 

wds

I'm quite happy with this phone.  Even though it probably didn't come from the factory with the dial, it's still a good example of how they kept those older phones in service.  I plugged it in, and it had very good sound quality.  Plus it looks cool.
Dave

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 05, 2011, 06:45:03 PM
Mercedes dial is worth the $66 and then some....nice find....Doug

Agreed.

AE sold all sorts of "Dial Conversion Kits" to add dials to phones that didn't otherwise come with a dial. It was in their best interest to do so since they were selling the Automatic Equipment for the CO to the Phone Company. So to me there is nothing wrong with this modification.

Terry