News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lunchtime score (WE 20-AB and NE subsets)

Started by NorthernElectric, March 23, 2015, 07:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

I've been trying to make arrangements to see what this guy had for a couple of weeks now.  It finally happened today at lunch.  It was a little over 15 minutes drive from work one way, so I figured I'd have about 25 minutes to look around and see if he had anything I wanted.  I wound up about 15 minutes late getting back and had to make up the time after work.

Here's what I got: a Western Electric 20AB, 2 Northern Electric 684BX subsets, and some possibly new old stock parts; 2 F1 transmitters, an HA1 receiver, and a 3 conductor cloth handset cord.  He quoted me a package deal at $90C for the 20AB and the parts, plus $30 for the pair of subsets.  In my hast, I failed to notice the small chip and crack on the one subset (visible in the photo), and that it felt a bit lighter than the other one because someone has converted it to just a ringer box by removing the 101 coil and swapping out the capacitor for a different one.  But I can easily put that right with parts.

I should have asked for a breakdown on the prices, but I figure assuming the parts were worth $5 apiece, then the phone was $70.  I was a bit worried about the phone, because the perch and receiver assembly were hanging by the wires, but it looks like the only thing missing is 4 screws and the mouthpiece, at least to my inexperienced eye.

There was lots more there so I will be going back soon on a day off when I won't be in such a hurry.   :)

Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

Great finds!!

How much did you pay for all of it? I bet the 20AB will look great nickel-plated!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

NorthernElectric

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 23, 2015, 07:46:22 PM
How much did you pay for all of it? I bet the 20AB will look great nickel-plated!!

$120 CDN total for all of it.
Cliff

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DNO

Another nice find, Cliff!
David

Sargeguy

The subsets are worth about $60 USD each, and the 20-AB brassed out but mostly intact would be around $75 or so.  The 20-AG was nickel originally, and came with a number of different styles of hand/headset/transmitter configurations.  These could be found as Railroad apparatus and Interphones apparently.  That is an interesting transmitter, we did not have it on the list until now.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 03, 2015, 10:53:33 AMThat is an interesting transmitter, we did not have it on the list until now.

I believe the transmitter may be original to this phone, at least the combination is listed in this catalog.
Cliff