News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial plate for early 302 w/4H--celluloid or porcelain?

Started by JimH, October 27, 2008, 08:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

Does anyone know what dial face plate would be correct for an early 302 with a 4H dial?  I have a dial-less 302 from Jan. 1937 with an E1 handset, small cradle ears, and vented hand-grip, and i would like to add a 4H dial (which I think is correct)  so I can have a usable telephone.  I know the 4H came with the celluloid dial face plate, but in 1937 they began putting the porcelain dial plates on the 5H dials.  I know either will work, but I want it historically correct.
Jim H.

BDM

You lucky lucky dog you!! Out of interest and trying to be nosey, where did you find it? Also, it may be tough finding a clean dial face. An alternative is to use the stick-on replacements found at oldphoneworks. BTW, a #4 is correct, though many were later replaced with #5 dials and F1 handsets.

One collector I know found one at a thrift store. Other than the obvious cradle ear difference and the upper vent, everything in the phone was updated around 1955. He was bummed as Ma Bell went through this phone with a vengeance.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

JimH

Quote from: BDM on October 27, 2008, 09:07:09 AM
You lucky lucky dog you!! Out of interest and trying to be nosey, where did you find it? Also, it may be tough finding a clean dial face. An alternative is to use the stick-on replacements found at oldphoneworks. BTW, a #4 is correct, though many were later replaced with #5 dials and F1 handsets.

One collector I know found one at a thrift store. Other than the obvious cradle ear difference and the upper vent, everything in the phone was updated around 1955. He was bummed as Ma Bell went through this phone with a vengeance.
I got it on Ebay.  I have a 4H dial to put on it, and it has a celluloid dial face that's in great condition (except for the normal yellowing).  I just wasn't sure if a porcelain face went on this one, or if I should leave it celluloid.  Seems every one of the early ones I see are porcelain.
Jim H.

BDM

I'll have to check Larry Wolff's book on this. He gives a complete description of dials and number plates used. I'll check and get back with you. BTW, did they know what they had??
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Jim, according to Larry Wolff's book. The 149B celluloid number plate is the correct one. But, the 150B is the correct replacement. It is exact in every way and used as a direct replacement.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

JimH

Quote from: BDM on October 29, 2008, 09:32:09 AM
Jim, according to Larry Wolff's book. The 149B celluloid number plate is the correct one. But, the 150B is the correct replacement. It is exact in every way and used as a direct replacement.
He knew what he had when he was selling it.  I guess I paid a premium for it, but my feeling is it will be an investment.  I appreciate you checking, I'm going to use the celluloid 149B that's on in in great shape.  I just could never remember seeing an early 302 with a 4H/Celluloid setup. 
Jim H.

BDM

Yup, it's correct. Exactly why you caught my interest with this one ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI