News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

4-32 Machine Screws

Started by dencins, July 24, 2012, 11:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

I recently stumbled across a very uncommon (and obsolete) 4-32 die to cut machine screw threads.  This is the size screw used to hold the bridge to the faceplate on solid back transmitters.  The 2XX type bridge uses a 4-32 x 1/4" brass flat head slotted machine screw and the 3XX uses a 4-32 x 1/4" steel round head slotted machine screw. 

My interest is mainly with the brass flat head screws since I have more difficulty finding them.  I have not been able to locate a source for brass flat head machine screw blanks so my thought is to take some 4-40 (UNC) or 4-48 (UNF) screws and recut the threads to 4-32.

Does anyone know of a source for #4 brass slotted machine screw blanks?  Has anyone tried this recutting approach on any size threads?

Dennis Hallworth     

Bill

Dennis -

I'm not a big fan of recutting threads on the same-size shank, because the resulting threads are so munged up that they don't hold very well, and the recut screw is a little wobbly in the hole. However, in this case, not much holding power is needed, so it would probably be OK.

This forum had a long discussion of oddball screw sizes about a year ago. At least one member found a site that supplies them, though the available quantity was small. You might try that discussion and see if there is anything of use to you there.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6612.0

Bill

dencins

Bill

Thanks.  I had forgotten about that discussion.  The supply in the discussion was for the steel round head machine screws used to hold the 3XX bridge to the faceplate.  I am working on the brass flat head screw that holds the 2XX transmitter to the faceplate.

I was sent a good idea to use #4 brass flat head wood screws as the blank.  Wood screws have 2/3 of the length as thread so if I get longer screws and cut off the thread, I might have an unthreaded blank to use.

I noticed the original screws look odd so I measured some and found the major diameter of the thread is 0.112" which is a #4 but the head diameter is 0.175" which is a #3.  Those are not going to be available anywhere.

I did find I could file the #4 head height down to 0.055" then recut the slot to get a #3 head on a #4 shank.  The prototype was rough but it did fit the 2XX bridge.  I need to build some fixtures to get a repeatable process but this approach should work.

Dennis Hallworth   

dencins

I have completed a prototype of the reproduction 4-32 x 1/4" brass slotted flat head machine screw with an undersized head used to hold the 2XX bridge to the transmitter faceplate.  I will need to get a new hack saw blade to to clean up the slot.  I left the length of the prototype slightly longer than the original and the slot is a bit wider.

The first pic is shows the #4 brass wood screw, the blank before threading, the prototype and the last is an original screw.  The thread die is below.

I put an original and the prototype screws in a 2XX bridge and attached it to the faceplate.  The second picture shows the result.

Dennis Hallworth

wds

Very nice and quite ingenious.  Where did you get the thread cutter?
Dave

dencins

I came across the 4-32 thread cutter on ebay.  First time I have seen one.

I want to mention the credit for the idea of using the unthreaded section of a wood screw for the blank goes to Fred Haynes.

Dennis Hallworth

cihensley@aol.com

Dennis:

Good job on turning down the head size while maintaining the head to shank angle.

Chuck

HarrySmith

Great Job, Dennis! Can't tell the two apart. It is people like you that help us all continue in this great hobby!
Will you be offering them for sale?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dencins

Harry,

This is still at the prototype stage.  I like the thread and the head but still need to do some work with different ways to make the slot deeper.  The wood screw slot is too wide so when I cut the head down I would like to put in a narrower slot.

I did use a set to put a bridge on a transmitter and they worked fine.  Once I get the slot width resolved I will make some available.

Dennis Hallworth