News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Argentinian FeTAp Type Telephone

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 07, 2015, 08:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I received this interesting phone on Friday: ebay link.  It is apparently one of the phones from Argentina sold by Russel Johnson Imports for an outrageous price (link).  It looks just like a German FeTAp 611, but the "ENTeL" name is printed inside of it, along with "Seimens", so I am assuming that these were made under contract with Siemens in Argentina circa 1970.  The color is a very pleasant powder blue which looks like it had been covered with some sort of clear coat while the plastic underneath is rather scratchy and slightly discolored.  The shell is going to need a sanding and polishing.  I don't believe that this color was offered in Germany.

Although the seller stated that the phone worked, I found that there was only intermittent sound from the receiver, and the problem turned out to be a bad solder connection under the induction coil.  I believe that I have it fixed now.  The transmitter is a Japanese "NYC" brand T100, which is about the same as a T1.  It is obviously not original, and does not work so well in this phone.

Whatever tags used to be on the bottom of the phone have been removed.  Does anyone here know what the official model number/name was for this model?

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 07, 2015, 08:43:07 PM
I received this interesting phone on Friday: ebay link.  It is apparently one of the phones from Argentina sold by Russel Johnson Imports for an outrageous price (link).  It looks just like a German FeTAp 611, but the "ENTeL" name is printed inside of it, along with "Seimens", so I am assuming that these were made under contract with Siemens in Argentina circa 1970.  The color is a very pleasant powder blue which looks like it had been covered with some sort of clear coat while the plastic underneath is rather scratchy and slightly discolored.  The shell is going to need a sanding and polishing.  I don't believe that this color was offered in Germany.

Although the seller stated that the phone worked, I found that there was only intermittent sound from the receiver, and the problem turned out to be a bad solder connection under the induction coil.  I believe that I have it fixed now.  The transmitter is a Japanese "NYC" brand T100, which is about the same as a T1.  It is obviously not original, and does not work so well in this phone.

Whatever tags used to be on the bottom of the phone have been removed.  Does anyone here know what the official model number/name was for this model?

Larry

I have not seen one of these in baby blue.  Interesting.   But this is the national color of Argentina, so it's only fitting.
Great find.

No that is not a German color.

PS: and fantastic price.  How much did you offer?

Matilo Telephones

It is called a Heraldo. They were produced in Latin America and Spain. You can find them in really funky, very un-German colors. :-)
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

LarryInMichigan

I hadn't looked at the diagram inside the phone, but I see that it shows "TLF 300".  Unfortunately, the shell is going to need to be soaked to clean it properly, so the diagram will probably be destroyed in the process.

Larry

LM Ericsson

I had one of those Art Thang phones that was in the cream color (painted). I had it at the time when I was still a phone novice and ended up trashing it! It had the same problems as your such as the Japanese transmitter with bad soldering. I do not know if yours is like this, but mine had plastic stuffed in the handset to hold in the components inside. I'd rather find an original one, untouched.
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: LM Ericsson on February 09, 2015, 12:26:14 AM
I had one of those Art Thang phones that was in the cream color (painted). I had it at the time when I was still a phone novice and ended up trashing it! It had the same problems as your such as the Japanese transmitter with bad soldering. I do not know if yours is like this, but mine had plastic stuffed in the handset to hold in the components inside. I'd rather find an original one, untouched.

Was yours actually painted a color different than the plastic?  Mine was painted with a clear coat to make it look shiny.  My handset fortunately has what appears to be the correct receiver, but the transmitter was changed.  I think that the solder break on the pc board may have occurred because one of the two screws which hold the board to the base was missing, so the board flexed slightly when the phone was turned sideways or upside-down because of the weight of the induction coil.  Before I determined the point of the problem, I noticed that I would start hearing sound from the receiver if I flipped the phone upside down.

Anyway, this phone is going to have to wait for a warm, sunny day so that the discoloration can be bleached out.

Larry

LM Ericsson

I tried some paint remover at one time on both the housing and handset. It turned out that the housing was the light blue color and the handset was a light gray.
Regards,
-Grayson