News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

San-Bar Corp.

Started by Babybearjs, November 22, 2015, 01:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I pulled out my San-Bar 6610-B KSU tonight to try to wire in the line cord and outgoing jacks... couldn't find the parts I needed to do the project... anyway, what ever happened to San-Bar? they are no longer around and am wondering if they just went out of business, or were bought out. anyone know its history??
John

Fabius

1985 article from the LA Times:

San/Bar Corp. Closes 2 Plants as Sales Plunge

April 30, 1985|CARLA LAZZARESCHI | Time Staff Writer

Plummeting telephone sales over the last nine months have forced San/Bar Corp. to close two manufacturing plants, lay off nearly one-third of its work force and consider spinning off a new company to handle consumer sales of its new household lubricant, the Irvine-based firm revealed Monday.

The company's announcement came as it released dismal results for the third quarter, ended March 31. The company posted a loss of $1.5 million, compared to a profit of $93,000 for the same period last year. Sales dropped to $5 million, 33% below the $7.5 million of a year ago.

"We have got to get our expenses and manufacturing costs down to the point where we can make some money," said chief financial officer David Young of the moves. "Our costs are just too high for our sales volume."

The company said the cost-cutting measures are expected to make San/Bar profitable in the fiscal year that begins July 1.

San/Bar, which has been plagued with declining sales for the last nine months, has attributed its sagging fortunes to an outdated line of telephone parts and systems and its failure, so far, to successfully introduce an updated, replacement product line.

I know I'm old as my shoes have Velcro tabs instead of laces.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AE_Collector

The only SanBar equipment that I only ever saw was 1A2 panels and cards. After reading that article from 1985 it sounds as though 1A2 WAS their main equipment line.

Terry

Babybearjs

well that answers that question....frustrating.... does anyone know if any company bought the rights to their products?
John

Fabius

Doing a little more research (which I love doing) I found a 1985 4 quarter financial report and the company reported a small profit but it was because of the sale of real estate. So it seems they were liquidating telecom related property?

It appears the company modified it's name to San-Bar, Break Free Div, and  reinvented itself and started producing penetrating oils, etc. The web has many sites that are related to reports filled with the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and Material Safety Data Sheets on the hazardous material the company used. The last report I could find was from 1999.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AE_Collector

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 22, 2015, 06:32:36 PM
well that answers that question....frustrating.... does anyone know if any company bought the rights to their products?

1A2 was quiclkly rendered 100% obsolete by electronic key systems so I doubt that anyone would have had any interest in it at all other than you and I and I have all the AE 10A1 and 10A2 that I need so that leaves you John!

Was there something in particular that you are looking for?

Terry

RotoTech99

I personally have two of the programmable restriction pads for WE or similar sets, and the instructions.

I recall one was in a yellow WE 2500 set for dialing local calls only, the other I would have to look up its settings again.  Both are functional.

ISTR When I first encountered it, it threw me a little as I wasn't familiar with touchpulse pads, much less toll restrictor pads.

Rototech99

Jim Stettler

There was a local company that was rebuilding 1A2 key equitiment  about 10 years ago. I don't remember their name,but I will try to drive by and see if they are still in business. I had stopped by to try to buy some "mouseholes". They didn't have any but they did sell me an autovon call director.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Jim:

Just a guess but I bet you were happier with the AutoVon Call Director than you would have been with the mouse holes if they had them.

Terry

RotoTech99

Both of my toll restrictor dials are SanBar made; Model SB701C, if I recall correctly.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 23, 2015, 12:37:50 PM
Jim:

Just a guess but I bet you were happier with the AutoVon Call Director than you would have been with the mouse holes if they had them.

Terry

Yes I was. The call director made the JKL museum very happy as well.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

I drove by the telephone business today, but they are out of business. There is a different phone company in it's location.

I stopped and talked to them, They bought out the former business and the former owner still works there. He is on vacation this week,but I will check back with him. He does have a small Kellogg Masterbilt cordboard in his office.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The new company rebuilds electronic key systems and telephones. So it may be a soucer for hybrid KSU's.
They did give me a link for free telephone manuals, This may already be posted somewhere.

http://www.wedophones.com/ManualsLead.htm

Jim
You live, You learn,

Babybearjs

Wow, thanks for the info. so, once the Panasonic and other electronic key system came on line, the 1A1 and 1A2 systems wound up in the trash.... so to speak. that's technology for you! Now that tablets and smart phones are all the rage, my desktop systems are considered antiquated. I've got a closet full of recycled AM2 based systems and they are even waiting for new homes.... sad, how things change so quickly.... wonder what the next big thing in the telecom industry will be??
John